ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Vendor
11,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really at all JDM, but the best minds of the Miata community are on this board, so I figure this is the perfect place to ask.

Anyone ever try to do a bikini top before? I've got access to a trashy top with frame and am planning on cutting it up and velcro-ing it to my rollbar. My plans so far include using the header frame and stock latches to keep it in place and just providing some tension with the velc. It'll balloon up at highway speeds, but that's the charm of a bikini top. The one on my Jeep did the same thing.

Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Funny... I've thought about doing that myself. And a few weeks ago I was in Wilmington for an autocross. One of the other Miata drivers and I were talking about the same thing...

I was going to either attach to the Frankenstein bolts or use the rear legs of the roll bar and attach around them somehow...

Good luck, let me know what happens!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I saw this at work the other day and I thought it was neat at first... But your interior would still get wet as hell.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
it would be really cool for riding around as a sun top, also anyone know if this makes a lot of wind noise?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I saw this at work the other day and I thought it was neat at first... But your interior would still get wet as hell.
never been to cali, eh? I am looking more for something to keep the sun off my neck, sort of like a bikini top for jeeps.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
But if you don't have any carpet, it's easy clean up... at least this way you are kind of shielding the instrument cluster and what not... unless the rain is at an extreme angle and you are parked the wrong direction lol........

I left mine out in a DOWNPOUR one time but my windshield was facing the direction the rain was coming, so the whole dash was dry and there was just 3" of water behind the seats (parked slightly downhill). Jack one corner of car + towels + small heater fixed the excess water issue. =D>

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
515 Posts
Re: Emergency Rain top?

I like the idea for a sun shade while on long drives but it would definitely be a do it myselfer kind of thing. I think the tops pretty easy for an " emergency rain shield " myself and I wouldn't trust that thing to keep my car dry at all. But I like the idea a lot.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Holy crap. That's EXACTLY what I want for the Baja Miata when i get around to making it.

I just can't figure out how they affix it to the front. more pics. Need more pics.

·
CR.net Supporter
515 Posts
Re: Emergency Rain top?

You could build in channels pretty easy and put plastic, nylon or fiberglass rods in it like a tent uses.... but, I have a double hoop, so it might work ok on my setup anyway. Anyone know how it attaches to the A-Pillar?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts