ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just looking for a little bit of insight here. currently have bipes unit setup on my miata that is supercharged, but i just bought something new. i got a stock ECU that has been remapped with a new fuel curve for a supercharger and its comming with a MSD Boost Ignition Timing Unit. i really just want to know what is a better unit the MSD or the bipes? thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I would say the Bipes. The MSD pulls timing based on boost. It's what I have, but it's not the most efficient method, because boost does not necessarily equal higher temps.

I'd stick with the bipes, since it works based on temp, and sell the MSD. Autoxchick needs timing control. ;)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
never heard of a remapped ecu.

fwiw, the bipes was actually first developed as a mod to the MSD box. it works much better and is easier to install.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Bipes and its a nice addition.

It pulls timing based on these areas:

1: Timing you want to retard under maximum engine load (the ACU will scale the timing back under lighter loads)

2: Additional retard to apply at high intake air temperature (the ACU will scale back at lower temperature)

3: Set the RPM map that you want to start retard from, from conservative to aggressive, Example: 1500-3400, 2000-3600, 2500-3800 or 3000-4000

You can also set the display to show: ( only one of each of these )

1: Amount of timing retard
2: Amount of Airflow
3: Inlet Air Temperature
4: RPM ( to get accurate RPM to set base timing )

This summer as it was hotter than normal, I used the Temp retard function to pull additional timing in 100 degree temp, very useful. Also I have my base timing at 14 Degrees, then pull 6 degrees additional under boost to 8 degrees. This gives me great bottom end response and preserves the top end timing. Firmware Version 1.5 also will give you back some of the pulled timing on top end which is nice.

This little box has saved my motor many times I'm sure :)

1994 Black R Package, JRSC M-45, JR Intercooler, Big Boost kit with Custom BRP pulleys, DDMWorks Cold Air Box, 255 Walbro Fuel Pump, Modified Powercard from BRP, ACT HD/SS, Lightened and Balanced Flywheel, High Flow Cat and ANSA SS Catback,
OHLIN PVC 32 way Shocks and Coilovers from DDMWorks, Konig Rewinds 15 X 7 Graphite, Falken Azenis RT 615, AXXIS Ultimate Pads,

JDeane ( 20 minutes from the Tail of the Dragon ), Tennessee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts