ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been busy this week.

Plan was to swap out my nasty carpet but I decided to attack a few more things while I was at it. Like adding sound and heat insulation.

I know this is blasphemy to some of you but I want to reduce road noise and increase SPL a bit. Besides, this car sees more daily driver use than track use so I want to make it more comfortable.

I'm only adding about 30 lbs in total for the trunk, floorboard and doors. Heck, I think I removed 10lbs of dirt and the PO had glued the grey carpet over the OEM black so I was carrying two layers of carpet.

The difference is a nice thud as opposed to a ring when tapping on the door sheet metal. My new Boston Accoustics should sound nice in there.

The product is Second Skin Audio Damplifier. I made my decission based on this web site. The review seems pretty darn thorough. I'm pleased so far with the application of it and it definitely makes the doors more solid. I can't wait to get it out on the road.

Pics Here.

Sound and heat insulation complete. Carpet is in. Stereo cabling is done.

Tomorrow the dash, install door speakers, seal up doors and fit door panels. I hope to finish tomorrow but if not, Friday.
 

·
bad mother f......
Joined
·
3,173 Posts
looks great. Should make a huge difference in sound. After my engine is done I'll be doing the same thing. Did it really add that much weight though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks great. Should make a huge difference in sound. After my engine is done I'll be doing the same thing. Did it really add that much weight though?
The stuff I used weighs .42 lbs/sq. ft. I ordered 80 sq. ft. but only used just over half. The reflectix is basically alluminized bubble wrap and weighs next to nothing. The final layer, the closed cell foam is also pretty light weight.

Considering all that, maybe I only added 20 lbs or so.

Plan to take your time and do it right. I'm off work all week and started this on Monday.

Monday was deconstruction and cleaning.

Tuesday was final cleaning, sound deadening the doors and most of the floor board. Also replaced my heater core with a hairline crack in it. #-o

Wednesday I finished the sound deading on the rear deck, installed the Reflectix and closed cell foam and ran the stereo cabling and finally got the carpet in. Also cleaned the blower box and heater box and reinstalled.

Tomorrow is reinstalling everything, installing component door speakers and sealing off holes in doors.

Friday I'll work on the amp rack and final connections.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top