ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exciting news!
I just received a confirmation from NASA that my proposed specs for a Miata specific roll bar have been approved, which means that effective immediatly Blackbird Fabworx will be making NASA approved spec roll bars.

What does it mean?

For years the dominating spec of roll bars for Miata have been the SCCA spec which is overbuilt and therefore heavy.
Blackbird Fabworx has been working on a new spec for Miata roll bars with the aid of NASA and the result is a roll bar that is safe (otherwise NASA would not approve it..) yet significantly lighter than the SCCA spec bars.

The NASA spec bars are approved for HPDE and TT use.

Blackbird Fabworx will continue making SCCA approved bars for those who need to comply with the SCCA spec for whatever organization they're running with locally, but for those who run with NASA or any event organizer that does not require SCCA spec bar this will be an excellent alternative since the weight reduction is also coming right from the top of the car, thus lowering the CoG.

The NASA spec bars will be available in the form of a single or double diagonal and of course the signature GT3 model, and also as 4 point or 6 point.

Moti

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Differences in weight for a given design i.e. GT-3 6-point between SCCA spec and NASA-only spec would be cool to see. But I'm sure that will come as you begin to get different orders and build all the different combinations and weigh them.
Very cool Moti!

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Also interested in this comparison. Moreso the 4-pt, but I'll take what I can get. :)

Thanks once again, Moti!

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much of a visual change is there?
There isn't any.

Is it fast?

Also interested in this comparison. Moreso the 4-pt, but I'll take what I can get. :)

Thanks once again, Moti!
I'm also interested in the comparison :D
Haven't had the chance to weigh them side by side yet, but I would guesstimate the difference to be 7-9 Lbs for a 4(!) point roll bar.
We're talking major weight savings here, that's around 20-25% of the total weight!

Pricing depends on config but starts under $500 (shipping not included).

Moti

·
Registered
267 Posts
Without getting into the specifics Moti, are there any differences between this and the one you build for me? Thanks..

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Thanks for the update! :)

Sent using Tapatalk 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts