ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a painted "GV Panel" and lights from Black Widow in a private party transaction in August, looks good right?

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/28-sale-trade/111161-na-gv-tail-light-conversion.html

I get done dallying on other projects and open the box last week. Holy ****, its a fake / counterfeit! Quality is abysmal. It's not the real deal with the GV logo embedded in the fiberglass in white on the back, it's an Ebay cheapo, sloppy fiberglass, globbed on hardener, pinholes and painted to match my car with globs, fiberglass and pinholes showing clearly through the paint. (thanks for the thought tho).

So I reach out to Black Widow via PM, point out it's fake and abysmal. He says I am "outside his 30 day return policy". For what, fakes? After some back and forth I point out to him he never denied it's a fake, and his reply then switches to "Its not fake".

I shelled out $700 dollars in cash for an absolute piece of **** and a grown man does not care enough to make it right. I outlined the steps I was going to take to get my money back and he basically wished me good luck, which I'm going to need.

I don't think I've ever been screwed out of this much money over such a long distance before!
I'm pretty sure if I opened the box when I got it he'd say the same thing, because nobody is honorable in 30 days and then turns into a cheating jackass in 90 days.

Will post pics. You are going to puke at what I spent $700 for when I could have had the real thing for the same money.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Did you ask for pics to verify that they were legit GV, like the logo being stamped on it? I understand your frustration, but at the same time with something like that I would have asked for photos with the guy's name written on paper with the imprint on the panel. And I definitely would have opened the package immediately to at least examine it. Even if people I deal with are nice online or over the phone, I check products out like I got it from Joe-**** the dirtbag on the black market. It sucks how it's working out regardless. Good luck, man.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't ask for pics of the back. Or open the box right away - didn't think it would be anything but what it was described which was a GV tail. Not a "GV Style" tail as ebay repro sellers will list. But the interesting thing is nearly everyone I have ever dealt with during an online transaction will make things right. But this guy? Not interested in making it right, only keeping my cash.

I think of all the times I've always made things right for my buyers, issued partial and even 100% refunds for flaws while letting the people keep the part, overpaid people, paid shipping etc there are some on here that can tell you I have really poured some money into the community, different vendors and I'm sort of thinking, this is how I get repaid for that sense of fairness? I'm a dumbass or at the very least hanging out in the wrong community

·
Registered
58 Posts
Appreciate the advise. I too trust people when I make purchases. I'm with ya and I'd be furious over a $700 piece of junk!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Its partially both parties mistake in my eyes. On one side, you claim to have received a knockoff product (I'm also under the assumption he told you it was real before the transaction). However, you made the mistake of not opening the package immediately to inspect the product, as to why you didn't I'm clueless (what it it was cracked by the shipper, it would be too late now as well.) and I believe you are out of paypal claim range as well.

I think there is a lesson to be learned for both parties here. Good luck on resolving this.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
No, I didn't ask for pics of the back. Or open the box right away - didn't think it would be anything but what it was described which was a GV tail. Not a "GV Style" tail as ebay repro sellers will list. But the interesting thing is nearly everyone I have ever dealt with during an online transaction will make things right. But this guy? Not interested in making it right, only keeping my cash.

I think of all the times I've always made things right for my buyers, issued partial and even 100% refunds for flaws while letting the people keep the part, overpaid people, paid shipping etc there are some on here that can tell you I have really poured some money into the community, different vendors and I'm sort of thinking, this is how I get repaid for that sense of fairness? I'm a dumbass or at the very least hanging out in the wrong community
That's a shame. I completely get your frustration. Hopefully it gets worked out, but at the very least now you know not to trust that things are as they seem. Luckily I've had decent luck with parts I've bought online, but you really never now. I wouldn't blame yourself entirely. Miatas have been gaining popularity, and people are realizing which parts are sought after. I wouldn't say it's the wrong community, because most every Miata owner I've met has been cool as hell. But I think we're getting to that point where the scam artists are popping up due to popularity.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
that really does suck major whale balls. I hope it gets resolved man. Your silver stone is one of my faves.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I can vouch for Mike (72bacon). My dealings with him have been extremely fair. More than fair. He's a very generous person. To have something like this happen to him is a huge shame.

It does suck that the purchase was so far in the past. No possibility of paypal dispute makes things hard.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Wow, what a shame. I always thought his car was amazing (coming from a guy who generally dislikes slammed cars). I now always think of the car as driven by a cheating loser. Sorry to hear about that man, I'm glad to see that although most of the people here won't hesitate to give you **** over anything, all of them so far have been awesome to deal with. Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
I guess my biggest question/thought, why did you not open/inspect it as soon as you got it??? there's been countless threads on various forums over the years of people with long distance/shipping transactions recieving broken parts/fake parts/totally different parts than purchased/etc. Any time I buy something from a forum member, on any forum, no matter how well known they are, first thing I do is inspect the hell out of the item to verify ASAP it is what I agreed to buy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The orientation of the turn signals would have been a red flag for me, I've never seen a set of GV tails with the signals on the sides of the lights. Also, in the 2nd pic in his ad you can see the crappy glass job on the upper left corner. Still, he should have listed them as "GV style" tails.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Buy yourself a ticket to Miami and handle it. Hate to say it, but from your posts of what he said, he's not going to refund a dime.

Edit: When I look at the original FS ad again, did the taillight lenses not throw you off, or give it away that it was junk? The lenses are supposed to be split half-way horizontally, red ontop, amber on bottom.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, what a shame. I always thought his car was amazing (coming from a guy who generally dislikes slammed cars). I now always think of the car as driven by a cheating loser. Sorry to hear about that man, I'm glad to see that although most of the people here won't hesitate to give you **** over anything, all of them so far have been awesome to deal with. Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.
That's not his car in his avatar.

Hope you find a way to resolve this 72Bacon.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts