ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
The tail lights are actually the rare thing. The Porter lights are damn hard to come by. The authentic Garage Vary panel is comparatively much easier to find. They are often sold without the lights.

Having an authentic panel and different lights is quite common and not an indication you have a KO panel. Lack of this is indication of a KO.

·
Closed Shell Syndrome
7,676 Posts
Know your product. Know your dealer.
Otherwise someone will eventually try and mark you.
Then you get a bag of baby powder instead of coke.

Some may have wondered in the past why I, and others, have such a beef with counterfeit, knockoff, replica parts. Then something like this happens.

Now where do I get my burning torch to hunt down the snake oil salesman?

·
<3s Malaking Puwit.
581 Posts
Ouch definitely sucks. A lot of the fault lies with the buyer.

-Rushed into the sale without confirming.
-Didn't confirm product till almost four months later.

Seller should have made it clear that the panel wasn't an original GV panel. But thats what asshole sellers do, they withhold/twist information in hopes of unloading their parts onto unknowing buyers.

I would try to talk to your bank/credit card company and see what you could do for you. Good luck trying to get your money back.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
OP - I say suck it up and cut your loses. See if you can get the panel into a usable condition, mount it and go on about your life. No sense in whining about it now. Once it's installed and pained no one will know the difference (save for the lights of course).

The tail lights are actually the rare thing. The Porter lights are damn hard to come by. The authentic Garage Vary panel is comparatively much easier to find. They are often sold without the lights.
The lights cost almost as much as the panel, thus making the whole package expensive as fffuuu. The bare panel isn't too expensive though ($350-ish?).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Part of me thinks the seller might be ignorant and not know there are fakes vs the real thing. Another part thinks if I took 3 months to open the box maybe I should give him 3 months to issue the refund. If I consider if this was one of my employees I know it would be a big deal for them to come up with $700 right around the Holidays, it might be asking too much now. But there is the entire summer ahead.

Fawk, too bad I'm not local to him, it would be a relatively easy small claims case.

I've got all the sellers info. Addy, DOB, phone, email, age, cell, enough to start running background checks, other legal pulls etc.

Did some research. Will call paypal and see if they can pull the funds as a favor seeing I'm a premiere business member. Shipping counterfeit goods across state lines using the US postal service is a federal offense and there is a website set up to report it. So will file a claim with the post office this weekend. Miami police department has a claims posting process for similar items. Have to look and see if I can file a private party complaint with the attourney general in Florida, or if that's limited to commercial claims. Then take a look to see if I can file a claim in Miami Dade Clerk of Courts for small claims in situ, or if there is a detective agency I can hire to do some work for me. After that it's call around and find out where he works (Hyundai dealer or body shop) let them know he's using the shop paint booth for his own sales and profits.

In the meantime I think it's important to make people aware this person does not set things right, maybe somebody else can avoid the mistaken purchase I made.

I cannot remember anyone who has ever ripped me off and gotten away with it. The last attempt was a college student who conceded rather quickly after a little drilling and getting the dean of students and campus police involved. It will be interesting to find out if this guy will be the first one.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well there is already at least one positive development from this, At my request the mods added a "private transaction" prefix to this section - thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
I told him that he needs to take care of this already and got this great PM
Black Widow said:
Dude don't believe this guy, he just wants his money back because I guess he sold his car or something. It's been 3 months and a couple of days why would he ask for a refund now
I think you're going to need to press on this dude to get results. I'll leave him unbanned for the moment if he ever decides to fess up here, but I doubt he will.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Shipping counterfeit goods across state lines using the US postal service is a federal offense and there is a website set up to report it. So will file a claim with the post office this weekend. Miami police department has a claims posting process for similar items. Have to look and see if I can file a private party complaint with the attourney general in Florida, or if that's limited to commercial claims. Then take a look to see if I can file a claim in Miami Dade Clerk of Courts for small claims in situ, or if there is a detective agency I can hire to do some work for me.
To put it bluntly, your concern is a purely civil one. There is no criminal element here. Your only option is a civil action. Depending upon what state you and he are in, there may be a jurisdictional issue. Your strongest course of action is to take it up with Paypal. The fact that this is three months later isn't going to help you. They have a cutoff of 45 days. To put it bluntly, you dropped the ball and you've got a hill to climb. Climbing that hill may cost more than you paid.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Keep telling yourself that. A chargeback isn't that easy, but try it anyway. It depends upon the card company. As I said, stranger things have happened.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Keep telling yourself that. A chargeback isn't that easy, but try it anyway. It depends upon the card company. As I said, stranger things have happened.
I've never, ever had an issue running a chargeback. Granted I've only done it a handful of times the card company has always bent over backwards for me. When have you had issues?

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
I've never, ever had an issue running a chargeback. Granted I've only done it a handful of times the card company has always bent over backwards for me. When have you had issues?
I've worked for a card company in a prior life. Some cases are obvious, others require some substantiation. It ultimately depends upon the facts at issue, and how the card company is feeling that day.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Truth be told, only about 1/100th of the CR population would have asked to see the GV stamping regardless of what lights were in there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

If I'm paying authentic prices for a JDM part, I'd definitely ask for as many photos as possible including the stamping.

I can relate, a while back I got boned out of some HKS cams from a guy selling them on here, paid my $350, he sent the package and I received an empty box with a gaping hole in it. I emailed him nonstop and he was completely unwilling to help me out and basically told me I was SOL. The only insurance on it was the $50 that comes with priority shipping. I got the $50 back but got stiffed $300. I doubt they'll ever turn up and even if they do, I'm sure they'll be completely fucked up and unusable.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts