ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
holy crap dude, what irony. then again, my brothers old anniversary date was apri fools....he also got divorced on april fools...
I'd be irony if it blew on "Working Engine Day" but still, bummer.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
How many miles on your 99, engine mods not listed under your profile, any abuse, and what were you doing when it blew?

I only ask as I get paranoid with mine.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles on your 99, engine mods not listed under your profile, any abuse, and what were you doing when it blew?

I only ask as I get paranoid with mine.
Motor was stock up to 65k.
plugs wires coil pack where changed and aem intake.

3 year or auto-x use. oil was fine but i didn't change it since jan. it ran strong the weeks prior auto-x. mobil 1 full syn.

symptoms happened during an auto-x day. we were co-driving the car until the 7th run when my car would stall and it would make a clicking noise.

i thought it was the lifters from starved oil. it idle fine and had the same rhythm w/ another running miata. i thought it would go away. didn't race it when the symptoms came up and tried to baby it home.

blew up on the freeway and waited 6 hrs for someone to trail my car home.

i'd like to take it apart and see what the hell happened.

Current plans:
1) the head might not be damaged. so the bottom block might be the only one to be change.
2)find a beater car and save up for a stock motor. mazda comp sells one 2300 and some change and ships directly to you door wihin 5 days
3)find a beater car. turn it into a project car and build it the way i intended. only problem having the car occupy the garage space. it will sit from 1-2 years before i can come up w/ some serious cash.
4) they have a 1 motor hear locally for $1.2k at 35k miles but who know how healthly engine is.

Any advice or support would be helpful.

the lesson learned is: its impossible to have a dd and race car in one. and the best tool you can bring to a race is a couple of friends to help you when you do get stuck.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
I'd go with number two, or just rebuild the blown enigne. but deff buy a beater. my 99 is my daily driver so I dont do much with it. I think thats the safe bet.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
first time I've seen a windowed block on a stock miata motor, or any N/A miata motor for that matter...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it looks like the head is intact when i pulled the valve cover off. i still need to yank it off.

still debating just to replace the long block or the whole engine.

looks like IRTB plan might come earlier than expected.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i've never seen a stock miata rod bent that badly.

mine turned out to be a blown ring gear. the bearing headed south (explining the howling i heard a few miles previous to its demise), probably seized and dislocated the carrier enought to break the ring. new friction plates, hardened ring gear, bearings and seals going in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i've never seen a stock miata rod bent that badly.

mine turned out to be a blown ring gear. the bearing headed south (explining the howling i heard a few miles previous to its demise), probably seized and dislocated the carrier enought to break the ring. new friction plates, hardened ring gear, bearings and seals going in.
so yours is still salvageable?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts