ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info. 1.6L B6 engine with 110k Miles.

Car was running okay, but seemed to have some blowby, because oil would be coating the intake piping, and it wasn't the turbo, as I decided to vent to atmo and intake piping was okay after that.

So I have some blowby. Don't think much about it. Removed GReddy kit, installed Fuji IRTBs. Car runs, but runs really rich, but other than rich, seems to be okay. Drive about 70 miles. Notice that the newly installed catchcan had caught about 1 qt of oil in 70 miles. OMGWTFBBQ?! Figured it was because I had capped my PCV valve. So I decide to uncap PCV and run 1 line from the PCV into the catchcan and the other line from the vent thingy on the driver's side into the catchcan.

Car seems okay, albeit running rich.

Decide to put in 1.8 injectors in for a little while, while 1.6s get sent out to witchhunter for cleaning and balancing. I take the car for a drive, about 10 miles, and a lot of white smoke starts coming out.

Ruh-oh. drive home, fuel, oil, water levels seem fine. Decide not to drive the car til I get injectors from witchhunter back. Get injectors back from innovate and install Innovate Wideband to see AFR, and I do NBO2 simulation so that I can run the Innovate in lieu of the stock O2.

Innovate LC-1 is saying car is running lean. No way in hell it's running lean. 25:1 AFR. So I'm like okay um help innovate. Innovate says there is an exhaust leak. Ain't no way there is a exhuaust leak.

Do some searching, and seems like oil is getting diluted via extra fuel due to rich condition. Decide to change oil. Changed oil, oil smells gassy, put in new oil.

Start the car up. Pray that engine smokiness would go away. No smokiness but as the car starts getting warmed up smokiness comes back. So I figure I'd take a look at the oil, see what it looks like. Shut off the engine.

Then a Geyser of oil and probably something else SPEWS out the dipstick hole. OMGWTFBBQ! stick the dipstick back in, oil everywhere I HATE YOU OIL.

I've never seen such a thing. Any ideas? Could blowby cause so much pressure that it would shoot oil out of the oil diptsick hole? I'm thinking of pulling the head :(:barf:

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
if you don't have the catchcan plumbed right, it won't help your blowby, same for the PVC. need to see your engine bay to tell.

if you are running rich, if that much, the extra fuel could be washing down the cylinder walls, past the rings. of course this dillutes the oil and isn't good. as for the wideband, i can't help you there, i have no experience with those.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
does your catchcan have a breather or vent on it ?

i think i had the exact same problem. i did a catchcan dealio to the pcv valve and the breather, but it wasn't vented and i was burning oil out the ass.

it turns out that i was totally pressurizing the crankcase and backing oil up on my oil return line.... it sounds like you did the same thats why oil was spewing out of your dipstick...

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so slevin what did you do to solve your problem? catchcan doesn't have a breather. one end to pcv, other end into the driver's side L shaped vent

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
yea dude, your totally pressurizing the crap out of your crankcase. when i was running a catch can setup like that i just drilled a hole in the top of the catch can... (mine was a cheapo $35 one).

but since then i've reverted back to the stock setup with the pcv back in the stock location and the breather side in the catch can with the other nipple on the catchcan open.

in your case with the irtb.. maybe just drilling a hole in the catch can will save your heartache...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with slevin.

I'm not using a catch can right now (just a breather filter on the driver side vent, nothing on the pcv) but I would connect the catch can to the vent on the cam cover on the driver side and put a breather filter on the other hose connection on the can. Leave the pcv side alone, it will stay shut. There is no benefit to fitting a hose to the pcv unless you are plumbing it to the intake.

Catch cans without a breather are designed to be put between the OEM manifold and the pcv valve to minimize the amount of oil vapor that ends up coating the inside of the manifold. The pcv valve will only open when there is enough vacuum from tha manifold and the catch can will properly hold that vacuum, opening the pcv and sucking out oil vapor / moisture. Any positive pressure build up vents to the stock intake at the vent on the drivers side.

Bruce

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so I was running a catch can like you recommended, and the can sucked like 1 qt of oil in 70 miles, so ppl recommended I put the pcv back inline.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
just a question...did you remove the vavle cover for anything recently, like for powdercoating, and removed the baffle plates on the underside?

i did this and i was blowing a sh1t-ton of oil into my catch can. turned out i hadn't resealed the baffles properly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only other thing I can think of right now is the level of the catch can. I would try to put the inlet of the can above the level of the cam cover vent.

Bruce

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Eh, seen it twice. Pistons are pressurizing the VC and thats the problem. You have a broken ring land on one of your pistons. Had in my SVT Focus (Turbo'd) and 323 GTX.

All that pressure goes north, and it looks for any way to escape.

I just so happen to have a 323 GTX engine in my garage! ;-)

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep. did compression and indeed seems like that's the problem. I guess no miata for me for now :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts