ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new fender for my NA (old passenger fender is beat beyond repair). Anyways the new fender is BRG (has a couple small dents that I can fix). My question is: I have already started stripping the paint and im getting down the the textured part of the fender, how do I scrape off the paint w/o scraping off the texture? I have been using both sandpaper and chemicals to strip it.

And (like a moron) I have already scrapped off some of the textured surface, how do I replace it? Bondo/Body Filler?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Generally you want to keep as much of the original factory paint finish intact as possible. Stripping down to bare metal should only be done as a last resort as painting bare metal is tricky even under the best circumstances. I fear your repaint won't last but a few years before it starts to bubble up again. People have long debated the origin of the factory applied rock chip guard. There are some aftermarket solutions for professional painters but they're not an exact match and they don't come in a spray can. A quick search on Miata.net will probably turn up the names of a few 3M products that work well enough. I think Gene might be an expert on this one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
bondo is supposed to go on bare metal... so u should take the whole fender to the metal with a dual action sander, fix the dents with bondo, spray a light coat of self-etching primer, then spray ur normal urithane primer, wet sand and paint...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts