ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a set of plates to bolt down my hardtop. How would I go about bolting down the chrome rear pieces at the Frankenstein bolts?

·
Registered
412 Posts
They just bolt were the latches are, 2 top front and 2 side mounts, you don't do anything with the chrome pieces on the back of your top.

·
Registered
317 Posts
For the chrome piece, if you unscrew the side (small Phillips) it will reveal some bolts. THEN you can screw in a long bolt or use the Frankenstein bolt to secure the back down.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The nut and bolt holding the plates are not cheap. Best thing to do is go to ace or something and find the correct metric bolts to use. I forgot what it was, a 12mm I think. When I bought mine they were a tad bit too long so I have to grind them down a little so they didn't scratch up the chrome plates where the Frankenstein bolts are. But like the poster above me said, you have to unscrew the cover to reveal the plates and stuff.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Rosenthall Mazda has a diagram of all the hard top parts, and prices. A little pricey, but it beats trying to drive around to many different locations, looking for something that "might" fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have the four plates that bolt from the inside, I know how that works.

And I know how the rear chrome catches work, but I though I'd seen someones car where they had what looked to be a taller "bottom chrome piece" where the frank bolts go in, allowing the catches on the hard top to be bolted down snug.

I'm looking for something like that.

EDIT: or since i'm bolting down my HT anyway, are the rear catches serving any purpose, and would it hurt to remove them? sure would look better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That depends on the owner. Some have driven without them and don't care to do anything. For others it's another way to securing the top down. You could remove them but that requires drilling into the fiberglass at the correct point and unscrewing them. Looks nice but you would have to do some fiberglass work to get it nice and smooth where the rear brackets came out from. That and lower the value of the top if you ever wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn, didn't realize they were attached that permanently.

I guess i'll just bolt it down with the plates for now, if that doesn't fix my Frankenstein bolt rattle, guess i'll have to do something else.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Adjust the plate in the Frankenstein catches, mine rattled like crazy until I did that.Now I could run with front latches and the frankenstein catches with only a little rattling ( not that I would for very long )

Process to adjust them is simple:
Took the cover off, one screw on side, one underneath.
Loosen the two bolts, it all makes sense once you look under the cover.
Slide the plate tight under the frankenstein bolt,
Retighten two bolts, and attach cover with the two screws.

If you are using bolt on plates ( like rennenmetal spec, or others ) have a second person put some pressure while you tighten, makes the seal a lot better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts