ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 99 currently has a wierd audio setup going on, thre is a pioneer head unit (pos) and Bose cassette player (doesn't work) in it. The head unit will cut off and back on whenever I try to change the audio source. It'll start working like it should after being on for 5min or so but needless to say I want to change my head unit out for something nicer. My question is whether or not there is a quick/easy way to tell if my car has had a bosectomy done to it already? Im ok with taking the current hu out if need be but what do I look for? Oh and while we are at it any recommendations good 8" speaker replacement? If it helps here is a pic of the setup below. Thx!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't know, but it seems kinda silly to dump the bose headunit for another headunit and not replace the amplifier. the bose headunit is already pre-amp out, so there isn't really an advantage unless you want your **** stolen (maybe a bit of bling advantage?).

Either case, if you want to replace the headunit, my bose headunit AND tape deck from a 99 NB are about to be up for sale. I will also be selling the speakers+tweeters, but i would suggest you move to something much better. I think the NB speaker size is 6.5"

·
Hakuna matata y'all
651 Posts
You could look at the speakers. If it has speakers other than Bose its most likely had it all taken out since I don't know of any other speakers that will run off a Bose amp.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks guys! I bought some nb2 door panels to swap mine out for anyway so I'll check the speakers when I get that done. I definitely want a nice aftermarket head unit. Something with Bluetooth/iPod connectivity like what i have in my specv so I can't stop making CDs.

Hey Red where in NC are you? I'm in Raleigh.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
when audio **** starts to fail like that its always safe (and quite simple) to re-wire where you can (do it the right way, at least with crimps and shrinkwrap if not soldering) and replace stuff. new head unit will likely fix the odd activity of long response time and pausing, but if it actually loses power or cuts off, you might have a crappy power or ground source.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! I bought some nb2 door panels to swap mine out for anyway so I'll check the speakers when I get that done. I definitely want a nice aftermarket head unit. Something with Bluetooth/iPod connectivity like what i have in my specv so I can't stop making CDs.

Hey Red where in NC are you? I'm in Raleigh.
Same here!

We should meet up sometime!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts