ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen this while internet shopping but can't seem to find it now that I actually want the product.

Looking for a small "rib" that bonds to the outside of the hard-top just above the window. The function is to redirect water that tries to roll off the top onto the side window.

Anyone see this before and can you dig up the site or link?

Thanks in advance.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Tetsutya Garage sells new ones. PM Rod.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those look pretty cool. I might have to get a set for my leaky windows.
I'll let you know how they work out - they are pricey but definitely rare in the US.

I used some vinyl D shaped window trim from Home Depot
That's actually a great idea. Sort of wish I thought of it first...

But these do actually have a "raised" channel on the upper edge that directs water away. I'll try to take a photo once they are installed to show you what I'm talking about. These are not painted yet so I'll most wait on installation for a while. I've got a full respray on my radar screen and it would be easy to have these painted at the same time, then install later.

Thanks to Rod at Tetsuya Garage (and thanks for the stickers too, Rod!) for the help purchasing and shipping the Garage Vary hardtop rain rails.

Oh yeah and thanks to Victim44 for finding that link for me. That's why I'm here - cuz of you guys.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I need one too. I soaked the inside of my car last week. And my elbow. Had the window down and turned right away from a long stand still. Smooth like peanut butter...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need one too. I soaked the inside of my car last week. And my elbow. Had the window down and turned right away from a long stand still. Smooth like peanut butter...
See I wouldn't blame that on you - it's a bad design! The window seals should stop that from happening. Do you have an OEM hardtop and window seals?

I don't- mine is a Chaser FRP/CF hardtop with the seals they supplied. I've been considering trying out the OEM seals on the Chaser hardtop - they are supposed to bolt right up.

Water coming into the car is exactly why I started looking. Having the window down a half inch is enough to bring in enough water to piss me off after standing still in a drizzle. I really hope the rails do what they seem to advertise. I generally cruise with my windows open a little, regardless of the weather.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well it took until today to install the rails because a) I was in no rush and b) the rails came from garage vary primed and sanded, so they needed paint.

Knowing with the right prep a rattle can job would be fine for these pieces, I cleaned the rails, wiped them down with isopropyl alchohol and shot a few light coats of Rustoleum gloss black enamel. After 48 hours, I hit it with a heavier coat of enamel. About a week later I spent about two hours sanding them down with 3000 grit. Didn't need to spend that long on them but I went after every trace of orange peel I could see. Then I shot 3 light coats of a clearcoat about 10 minutes apart, 48 hours cure, then shot one heavy clear coat. This time they only needed about 30 minutes of wetsanding with 3000 grit and they are perfect. Not a blemish. They are now ready for compound & polish, which I plan to do on the car.

Also impressed with the fit - the parts not only line up perfectly with the edge of the hardtop, but follows the contours from front to back. They come with a double sided adhesive that's quite grabby - glad I got it lined up the first time around.

Can't wait to see what they do for me in the rain since that's really why I bought them in the first place.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are awesomeeeeee.

It has rained, the car has been washed, driven with morning dew...

These do the job and if I ever buy a new hard top, I'll be buying another set of the rain rails for sure.

Unless there is a torrential dump of water on the roof, the rails direct it all backwards. Very little spills over onto the side windows. I'm a fan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts