ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear passenger brake caliper is leaking fluid where the parking brake cable attaches to the caliper. The seal under the little spring/arm is dipping all over my lower control arm and the inside of my rim. The exact same thing happened about 6 months ago (8k miles), and I ended up replacing the whole caliper and putting in new brake pads.

Because of where I live, I have to park on a slightly inclined driveway. Does using my parking brake overnight, every night cause this seal to wear out quickly or is there another reason?

FYI Im not into e-brake sliding at all...

·
R U ?
7,092 Posts
Why not put it in gear?

But I doubt parking on a slight incline would cause this.. I would blame it on poor reinstallation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine is on Rear driver side, need to replace the whole caliper too.. always park on flat area and used parking brake always..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im worried that if I replace it again, it will just need to be replaced in another 6ish months

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a rebuilt caliper from Advance and a new set decent pads for $62 after tax. Advance runs some pretty aggressive online coupon codes and you can pick up the stuff at the store. Check retailmenot and you can save a **** load.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do i need to bleed the whole brake system if i only change 1 caliper or can it be isolated to the 1 caliper that i change.
I don't think its necessary, unless you leak a ton of fluid out during the process. I just put a clamp on the line while I replaced the caliper. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked for me

·
Administrator
15,188 Posts
Do i need to bleed the whole brake system if i only change 1 caliper or can it be isolated to the 1 caliper that i change.

Depends. If you're quick, and depending on which caliper, you can do just one.

Passenger front most likely to just need the one. The other three are varying degrees of less likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts