ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
You're most likely correct. A brake upgrade isn't too much money and SS line are cheap too. Take a look at the rotors and pads or have a friend who knows cars take it for a spin

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
You're most likely correct. A brake upgrade isn't too much money and SS line are cheap too. Take a look at the rotors and pads or have a friend who knows cars take it for a spin
Or not? Because for the most part there is no such thing as "warped rotors" -- it's typically uneven brake deposits. Don't bother upgrading anything, just get new rotors and pads, then break them in correctly.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When I said upgrading, i meant going to Autozone and buying new rotors and pads and upgrading to SS lines. "Upgrading" from what he has now on the car.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That would wobble all the time. Not only when you hit the brakes.

Sent from my super cool phone, using my thumbs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Its not possible to "warp" a rotor. Pad transfer is the only option.

If you just bought the car its a good idea to get some new pads and rotors anyway.being that its a 1993 I would flush the fluid as well. That way you wont have to think about the brake system for a good while.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
:fp:

If you buy anything besides NAPA blanks you're wasting your money.
But but.. Bronto those $40 Brembo blanks have to provide superior stopping power.

XD

·
Registered
252 Posts
if you are going to replace fluids, pads and rotors you might as well upgrade to 1.8s. I've been on stock 1.6 brakes for about a year now and they are udder ****. I got my 1.8brakes from the junkyard for 30 bucks and they improved the braking a lot. At the same time they don't bite so hard that you smash your face into the steering wheel every time. Also, like brontosaurus said, dont buy anything but Napa blanks.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Not if the parallelism is too bad or rotors are already at minimum spec. There's an ad in CL that sells drilled and slotted rotors with four pads for $140, just an FYI.

Or you could just buy blanks, save $100 and get better performance.. Drilled rotors= less surface area/poor heat dissipation and prone to cracking.

We are no longer driving on brake pads made in the 60's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Or you could just buy blanks, save $100 and get better performance.. Drilled rotors= less surface area/poor heat dissipation and prone to cracking.

We are no longer driving on brake pads made in the 60's.
But drilled and slotted looks ultra cool! ;) Besides, I doubt we'd be overheating our brakes during normal daily driving. Anyways, the rotor style is a matter of personal taste. The latest CD/V rotor design is also far superior than the 80's technology that was prone to cracking! Anyways, it's the OP's option to choose whether to go solid or CD/V rotors. It was merely a suggestion.

EDIT: FYI, That's four CD/V rotors and a set of PBR (according to seller) pads all the way around for $140!

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Not if the parallelism is too bad or rotors are already at minimum spec. There's an ad in CL that sells drilled and slotted rotors with four pads for $140, just an FYI.

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.
Or.. don't waste your money, as mentioned before? Buy cheap blanks, spend the balance on good brake pads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts