ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good brake upgrade for future track running on some autox and maybe some road courses and just looking on some opinions on a couple of choices i've found

Flyin` Miata four-wheel big brake kit
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4539&parentid=0&stocknumber=14-16205 1990-93

and Wilwood Front Only Miata Big Brake Kit
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0692.html

my brakes are terrible right now and im not exactly sure which route i want to go so any input will help!

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Jesus.

What make you think you need those brakes? You'll have way too much brake for your skill level.

Get new rotors and a good set of race oriented street pads.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
under stock power, they will be fine.
good pads and rotors.
hawk hp+, ebc green stuff, and i think carbotechs might be a favorite around here.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Good pads, new blanks, stainless lines, and some good brake fluid should be good enough to get you running just fine.

Those wilwood kits are nice, over kill for most. They do allow for fast pad changes and remove weight from the suspension, which is always nice. Until you start to make more power the kits just aren't required.

The four wheel kits don't have ebrakes as well. I'm not sure of the intended use for your car, but that would be a huge problem for a street driven one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome i didnt realize that the stock brakes were so good lol! my calipers are shot, so those will have to be rebuilt/replaced, but i do plan on supercharging it down the road, nothing crazy though, probably just stick around 200hp when all said and done, and i dont want to have to go back and replace brake stuff i've already replaced once before

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The front wildwood is $499 right now, damn good deal.

If your lookin at new calipers, new rotors, new pads, stainless lines you might want to add up your costs and see how much more the kit would actually cost you. IMO if it's only 100-200 more the upgrade bug would take over and I'd just grab the wilwood.

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,720 Posts
STock brakes are capable of much more than you're doing right now. Unless you're near the SM lap record (within a second) you don't need more brake kit crap.

Listen to those of us who know.

Replace the:

- fluid (ATE blue or better)
- rotors (regular OEM replacement blanks...no slot/drill ****)
- pads (carbotech XP8 or better...I like my 12s)
- lines (SS lines from 949 racing)
- and maybe calipers (mine after 20 years were starting to leak...so I replaced them)

Call emillio @ 949 and he'll set you up with everything but the calipers. one stop shop

but how will the stock setup run on a road course like road atlanta or places like that?

·
Supporting Member
970 Posts
I track my car with 250rwhp and I'm on 1.8 brakes all round with blank rotors and carbotech xp10's. I haven't had issues yet

·
Registered
410 Posts
this^^

make sure your brakes are in perfect working order and you have good pads, rotors and fluid before upgrading to bigger brakes.

all of the above suggestions are great for components.

though braided lines are not necessary and will give you a very small amount of feel increase. if you are after brake pedal feel you will get better results from a brake master cylinder stopper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so your basically saying i should grab this? http://949racing.com/Stage-1-Miata-brakes-90-05.aspx

STock brakes are capable of much more than you're doing right now. Unless you're near the SM lap record (within a second) you don't need more brake kit crap.

Listen to those of us who know.

Replace the:

- fluid (ATE blue or better)
- rotors (regular OEM replacement blanks...no slot/drill ****)
- pads (carbotech XP8 or better...I like my 12s)
- lines (SS lines from 949 racing)
- and maybe calipers (mine after 20 years were starting to leak...so I replaced them)

Call emillio @ 949 and he'll set you up with everything but the calipers. one stop shop

1 - 20 of 24 Posts