ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have been hearing a pronounced clicking noise when I step on the brakes coming to a stop. I noticed it while I was creeping to look for a parking spot at the mall.

It sounds to me like a pad "run off" or a "shoe slap" but it seems to be coming from the front. From the cockpit, it sounds more like it's coming from the passenger side. I disassembled everything for inspection but came up with nothing.

The pads and rotors are only a few months old and never presented the symptom until about 3 days ago. I relubed all the slider bolts during reassembly and took all necessary precautions to seat the pads, retainers, etc.. I'm stumped! What could this be?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, comments and input!

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Is all the anti rattle hardware still in there? W springs and the clips? I know for most track pads you can't fit those back in and the pads are a little on the lose side making rattling noise while driving and clacking when they first cinch up when getting on the brakes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is all the anti rattle hardware still in there? W springs and the clips? I know for most track pads you can't fit those back in and the pads are a little on the lose side making rattling noise while driving and clacking when they first cinch up when getting on the brakes.
Every single retaining clips and anti rattle springs are intact. OEM pads were used. They only "click" after about 3 seconds AFTER engaging the brake pedal.

I have (lately) been hearing some pad rattling but have adjusted the clips accordingly. No rattles present after reassembly but the clicking is still evident. It doesn't matter what temperature the brakes are in, it just clicks during slow maneuvers.

No difference in brake feel either. Car still stops on a dime and a few pennies! :D

---

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like your calipers maybe loose? Check the torque on them.
Calipers torqued according to OEM specs. Caliper bracket bolt (one of them) was loose and torqued to spec after inspection. But the click still persist thereafter. :(

---

·
Supporting Member
664 Posts
I had the same problem on my NB after I replaced the brakes. I would get a little "click, click, click" noise coming from the rear when slowing from like 5mph to a stop. At the time I reused the old retaining clips and springs. I took everything apart and installed new clips/ springs and the noise went away.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh! I disassembled and reinspected and reassembled my brakes and still the clicking is present. Can't really tell what it is. I even went as far as servicing the shoes, springs and pistons in the rear e-brakes but to no avail. What could this clicking be?

I inspected everything that's on the undercar components and everything seems legit. No visual damages anywhere. Am I missing something? It can't seriously be the pad clips and retainers as they seem to be seated perfectly without any excessive play. :mad:

---

·
Registered
226 Posts
hey i have the same problem, i have discovered that the tie rods need replaced. i would check yours out, might be the source of your problem.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey i have the same problem, i have discovered that the tie rods need replaced. i would check yours out, might be the source of your problem.
Tie rods (inner/outer), wheel bearings (inner/outer 4 corners) and all bushings have been replaced less than a month ago. Someone told me that urethane bushings causes some noise, but after some investigation (wife driving while I hang from pax side) it seems to indicate that it's the right front brakes (area) that makes the clicking noise.

It's not constant, just a quick one time click just before coming to a stop.

---

·
Registered
201 Posts
My front brakes do this occasionally on my 99' daily too. I am using Carbotech Bobcat pads and Poweslot rotors, so I am thinking the slotted rotors and race designed backing plates (a bit smaller to eliminate the possibility of bind) are what's causing it. This brake setup was on a 94' daily driver previously and did the same thing as it is doing on the 99', so I am sure it's the pad/rotor combo. Maybe a pad is jumping when slowly passing over a slot in the rotor or something. It can get very loud at times, which is annoying as I know I prepped my brakes properly and nothing is mechanically wrong. Do you have slotted rotors by any chance? I'm sure you'd have mentioned that though...

Also a more probable theory, have you tried different pads? Some pad backing plates are different sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer and don't fit as well into the caliper bracket guides as the OEM pads, which would cause a gap between the backing plate edge and caliper bracket. When the gap closes it could cause a slap when the backing plate edge hits the caliper bracket. Sometimes if the gap is big enough the retaining clips might not be enough to stop this.

It would suck to have to buy new pads to test this theory. I have a ton of stock type (non-sport) pads lying around our shop from street cars turned race cars and from buying dozens of caliper cores for our rebuild services, I could send you some for the price of USPS flat rate shipping if you want ($4.95 or so). Is it a 1.6 or 1.8? Let me know.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been having the same problem with my NB in the rear. Curious to see what the issue was before I get into it.
The rears are often caused by shoe slap. Just an indication of a bad lathe job in the drum after brake service. What happens is that the drums were turned too fast which caused a "record" effect or an outward thread which causes the shoes to "run out" and slap back on after being pulled back by the retainer springs. It could also indicate low pads and the pad clips no longer have enough tension to keep the pads in place.

---

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My front brakes do this occasionally on my 99' daily too. I am using Carbotech Bobcat pads and Poweslot rotors, so I am thinking the slotted rotors and race designed backing plates (a bit smaller to eliminate the possibility of bind) are what's causing it. This brake setup was on a 94' daily driver previously and did the same thing as it is doing on the 99', so I am sure it's the pad/rotor combo. Maybe a pad is jumping when slowly passing over a slot in the rotor or something. It can get very loud at times, which is annoying as I know I prepped my brakes properly and nothing is mechanically wrong. Do you have slotted rotors by any chance? I'm sure you'd have mentioned that though...

Also a more probable theory, have you tried different pads? Some pad backing plates are different sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer and don't fit as well into the caliper bracket guides as the OEM pads, which would cause a gap between the backing plate edge and caliper bracket. When the gap closes it could cause a slap when the backing plate edge hits the caliper bracket. Sometimes if the gap is big enough the retaining clips might not be enough to stop this.

It would suck to have to buy new pads to test this theory. I have a ton of stock type (non-sport) pads lying around our shop from street cars turned race cars and from buying dozens of caliper cores for our rebuild services, I could send you some for the price of USPS flat rate shipping if you want ($4.95 or so). Is it a 1.6 or 1.8? Let me know.
Thanks for the offer! My rotors, pads and calipers are OEM new/old stock. Didn't want to bother with slotted/drilled rotors as I bought a Wilwood big brake kit after the brake job. I plan on just replacing the OEM brake system with the BBK if I don't resolve this problem soon.

I was reserving the BBK for anothet Miata project but oh well. ;)

---

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would replace the hardware first. I'm getting the same noise from the fronts, had some noise frm the rear but fixed that by bending the retaining clips. Gotta check my front but more then likely I'll spring the money for new parts since brakes are important.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would replace the hardware first. I'm getting the same noise from the fronts, had some noise frm the rear but fixed that by bending the retaining clips. Gotta check my front but more then likely I'll spring the money for new parts since brakes are important.
Most brake components (except for brackets and calipers) were replaced with OEM NOS parts just about a month ago. I did not reuse any clips, retainers and other replaceable from the old parts and used all the new hardware the kit was supplied with.

Ordered OEM NOS brake calipers and brackets for all four corner to eliminate those as culprits to the problem. Hoping to fix this before starting the new NB project. Otherwise one car would have to go in order to commit to the other. :(

---

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems to be a common issue, happened to me all the time during the summer. I parked my car for 2 months, and don't hear it anymore. Whatever it is, it's not at all dangerous, just annoying.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Calipers and brackets replaced but clicking is still present. I'm now suspecting the Rokkors since it seemed to have eaten away (or had started to) at the urethane bushing. A quick call to Rokkor and they said that a replacement is enroute. Something about an unfinished part of the lower spring assembly that tends to wear out the bushing for the front shocks. Hopefully this is the source of the clicking for me.

---

·
Administrator
15,254 Posts
I would say that would be a good possibility. Doesn't sound like anything within the braking system itself to me.

I'd go so far to bet that the same noise would happen when you are accelerating, but you wouldn't hear it over the car maybe?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't noticed anything when the suspension unloads during acceleration. It doesn't make sense though that it'll only click during low speed application. No pedal vibes either when the clicking occurs.

---

1 - 20 of 31 Posts