1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this to my last NA:

Not gonna do that again.

So I bought another one:

Meet Riley the 97' NA. 77,264 on the ODO when I bought it. 100% bone stock, right down to the factory soft top. AC/PC, power windows, power mirrors and a torsen. AC still works surprisingly. Not a spot of rust on her.

If y'all have seen my first build thread you know how I roll. If not, go read it. "Brap-Brap's Miata (Mis)adventutes"

Time to do it all over again, but better this time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bryan. My goal is to have it at a decent level in time for MATG next year.

99blkx, there's not gonna be a story. I was an idiot and that's about it.

I ordered this stuff from Summit on Saturday night and it arrived Monday afternoon. The perks of being in Ohio.

Mmmmmmmm Billies...

Can you figure out what i'm doing yet?

Also, funny thing is the "Summit Racing" branded springs on the website are just QA1 springs with the labels rubbed off.

Plenty more to come this week.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,057 Posts
Thanks for reminding me: I should probably order suspension components from Summit next time I need them. They still up near Akron/Kent/Stow area, last I checked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So as it turns out I ordered the wrong Bilsteins. I needed NB B8s, not NA B6s. I didn't realize until I tried to stack up the tophat bushings and the threaded shaft was no where near long enough.

Advanced Autosport coil sleeves.

Orange tophats means I have Xidas right?

Fab9 COP kit installed. Seemed to fix my idle dip and issues I had with her breaking up in the higher RPMs.

Sticker panel makes a return.

I saw someone on Miata DIY use a 90mm halo LED ring to turn the ring into a driving light. Figured I had a spare set of tails and I would give it a go.

Foil keeps the heat indirect and prevents the coils from burning something.

People complain about these Chinese LED rings breaking and cracking from vibration. So I used some clear silicone to glue them down into the ring. The ring in the lens fits the LED ring perfectly, almost so perfectly I would say you don't even need to glue it.

Running lights

Running lights + Brake lights.

Also put back in my LED headlights. This time I went with Cibie Housings instead of the Hellas. Cutoff and light throw seems a lot better.

And finally the old shell going away.

Moving on from the past.

For those wondering about the vanity plate, this is the meme is came from:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work!

Curious about that sticker panel...tell me more :)
Its some corrugated plastic sheet from Lowes that I cut to fit and used some 3M tape to stick it down.

I want to represent the companies I support, but I don't want to be a ricer and "sticker bomb" my dash or anything like that. This is a nice, subtle way of representing the companies I support.

7" led jeep headlights will work better and throw better light than your combo you have
You're wrong and I'll tell you why. Jeep lights have a bunch of little projectors, and are designed to throw light more to the side for checking clearances, rocks, trail paths, etc. The little projectors do not throw much light down the road as they should.

The Cibie housings are designed to work with a standard H4 halogen bulb, and the OPT7 LEDs have the COB LED at the exact same height as a halogen H4 bulb so it works perfectly. The Cibies are also known to have a better cutoff compared to the Hellas or other lights.

And, my friends have driven behind me. They say mine are twice as bright as the Jeep lights. It pays off to buy expensive kit and a proper H4 LED bulb versus Jeep lights.

But his version looks way better :lol:

Good luck with the build, glad you're ok after the crash.
The OEM+ look is certainly nice. Thanks man, I was a little shaken for a bit but it feels good to be back.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,057 Posts
Its some corrugated plastic sheet from Lowes that I cut to fit and used some 3M tape to stick it down.

I want to represent the companies I support, but I don't want to be a ricer and "sticker bomb" my dash or anything like that. This is a nice, subtle way of representing the companies I support.
I totally dig that. The Tick sports no stickers except its trunklid.

It'd be neat to have a removable panel that I could put more stickers on!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the time to get some quick mods done before I put her away for the winter. Just usual driving/comfort things.

Did a massive foamectamy. I left a 1" piece of foam on the bottom for my tailbone, but otherwise this gets me VERY low. Also adds a ton of lateral support.

A friend gave me a set of headrest speakers so I transplanted them, but the plugs were different. A quick set of spade connectors fixed that. Also allows me to add rear speakers when I want to down the line.

A friend also gave me this Whiteline shock tower brace. I heard they don't do much on these cars, but it looks nice and was free.

Also installed a FM brake master brace. It fits with the Whiteline STB. The brake master brace got rid of my semi-squishy pedal on the street. Braking just feels better all around.

Also (not pictured) I installed Garage Star door bushings. Wow do they make a difference on a stock car. Bumps are more solid clunks and less rattles/shakes. Car just feels overall better.

Got rid of the Walmart special radio. Dropped in my Clarion M508 unit I saved from my old car.

What wonders a new head unit does to the sound of a car.

Also ordered a new I.L. center console, polished the shifter like before, re-installed my Redline Leather shift boot, re-installed the trim ring and put back my flower shift knob.

Now I just have to find my damn wooden e-brake handle I made and the interior will be close to done.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,031 Posts
Man, Clarion makes some attractive head units. That foamectomy is super aggressive but probably fine with cloth seats. I went about half that aggressive with my leather NB2 seats and popped stitches because of the strain it put on the leather. Oops. Always did intend on replacing the center seat section with some slightly more compliant material but never got around to it.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
You're wrong and I'll tell you why. Jeep lights have a bunch of little projectors, and are designed to throw light more to the side for checking clearances, rocks, trail paths, etc. The little projectors do not throw much light down the road as they should.

The Cibie housings are designed to work with a standard H4 halogen bulb, and the OPT7 LEDs have the COB LED at the exact same height as a halogen H4 bulb so it works perfectly. The Cibies are also known to have a better cutoff compared to the Hellas or other lights.

And, my friends have driven behind me. They say mine are twice as bright as the Jeep lights. It pays off to buy expensive kit and a proper H4 LED bulb versus Jeep lights.

That's not what he's talking about, presumably.

Look at the GE Nighthawk 7" round LED light.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've looked into those. Even the Truck-Lite versions are $150 a pop, the name-brand GE ones are $220. I wasn't willing to stomach $300-$400 for lights when my $150 setup works very nicely.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
Sure. There's re-brands of the truck-lites (Eagle i think is a brand) for about $200/pr.

Nothing wrong with your choice. Just clarifying what he may have meant. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then again if we follow what people say on the Miata Club Facebook group we would all be running (B)Rotella T6, a Manzo catback and BC coils...

I want someone to sacrifice a SNC NA6 and do a "Miata Club Build" where people vote on what parts to buy. I wonder how well/horribly it will turn out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL, nothing wrong with that. There just seems to be a mob mentality around Rotella and it reaches a certain peak in that facebook group.

I was sitting around on Sunday with no homework. So I said to myself "i'm gonna build my billies today"

So I did.

NB B8 Billies, Advanced Autosport sleeves, FM rear tophats, NB fronts, QA1 550/350 springs. should work nicely.

Interior is coming along nicely as well.

Also, the allure of Fashion keys caught me recently. Unfortunately my wallet hasn't caught up. So like usual I took matters into my own hands.

Just a sneak peak into what I have in the pipeline.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts