ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 1993 NA6 LE

Hey guys,
I must have leaned on the purge valve that's bolted to the fender on the passenger side. The foward most nipple broke off. It is connected to the intake mani on the top, next to the cruise control nipple on the throttle body.

When it broke, the motor ran like crap and ticked. When I plugged it with a screw, the ticking stopped and it ran fine. Is this ok for now? Do I even need it since its part of that annoying charcoal can? Will this affect the venting of the gas system or have any effects? I have no CEL's yet and just dont have the cash to buy a new part at the moment. Thanks!

Reference pictures of the said part I snapped off. Not my car

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
It won't hurt anything but your engine bay and the area around your car will smell like gas if you leave it open to atmosphere. If you plug it, your gas tank pressure will build up....luckily the weather is cold right now so it won't hurt much. Plug the other end too until you can get a new purge valve

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,058 Posts
Removing the charcoal canister will not give you a CEL and will not result in any additional build up of fumes in the tank.

At 130k, I removed my canister (as well as the associated valves) and nothing changed. Same amount of pressure release from the tank when filling up.

If you dont want to remove the system and plug the vac nipples, then you'll have to source a new valve. Im sure somebody has one lying around... but why waste the money on a useless part?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Here's exactly what I did:

Pluged the line coming from the intake mani. Left the broken purge valve open to the atmosphere...since its broken. You are saying this will not cause any pressure to build?

Reason i'm concerned is because it feels as if the car runs better now. Or is it in my head?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removing the charcoal canister will not give you a CEL and will not result in any additional build up of fumes in the tank.

At 130k, I removed my canister (as well as the associated valves) and nothing changed. Same amount of pressure release from the tank when filling up.

If you dont want to remove the system and plug the vac nipples, then you'll have to source a new valve. Im sure somebody has one lying around... but why waste the money on a useless part?
Cool. I'll pick one up if its a couple bucks in a FS thread. Or if somebody has one at the bottom of the toolbox, I'll pay to have it shipped.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
11,058 Posts
If its venting to atmosphere, then it's still venting. That won't allow additional pressure.

I'm saying you should remove the valve and the canister. Bridge the two lines leading into the canister and be done with it. Theoretically, this should cause additional pressure in the tank, though if your car has over 100k miles, I can't imagine your charcoal canister is functioning properly anyway.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its venting to atmosphere, then it's still venting. That won't allow additional pressure.

I'm saying you should remove the valve and the canister. Bridge the two lines leading into the canister and be done with it. Theoretically, this should cause additional pressure in the tank, though if your car has over 100k miles, I can't imagine your charcoal canister is functioning properly anyway.
Thanks for the info. I'll get rid of the canister when I get a free weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts