ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got hasty the other night and went to fold down the top in the cold w/o unzipping the window, and crack... there goes my rear window.

Now I'm having trouble w/ which route to go from here. Most of the top is in good condition. What all comes in a rear window replacement kit? And how hard is it to do yourself?

I may just replace the whole thing w/ a robbins premium one. Esp. w/ this 10% discount thing goin on at Moss.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
i have just a rear window piece that although a little cloudy can probably be polished and you're good to go. PM me if you're interested.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Replacing just the rear window section of the top is easy if the zippers are the same type. Just unbolt the rail, remove the old window section, install new window section on the mounting studs, and replace rail. However, I have had two different tops in my Miata and both zippers were different. Some people do go through the trouble of having an upholstery shop sew the old zipper onto the new window so that it matches. Alternatively, there are some Japanese instructions somewhere on how to replace just the window while keeping the vinyl section around it. It involves cutting out the old window and gluing a new one in place. I'll try to find it for you.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Just a reminder you should never raise or lower the top on your car when the temperature is 40°F (4°C) or below. To be on the safe side don't even do it unless it's above 50°F (10°C). Park the car in the sun for a while to let it warm up if you have to. To lower the top on NA always release the windshield header latches, push on the top a little bit so it is no longer taut, unzip the rear window and lay it flat on the parcel shelf, then lower the top. If you're too lazy to unzip the rear window many people use a rolled up towel or a pool noodle so that the rear window folds around it and avoids sharp crease right in the middle which causes it to crack and leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts