ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as many of you saw. There was a hard top for sale. $40 cracked in like a million places. Something that needed to be thrown out. So the guy that bought it was in a bit over his head so I took it off his hands and started to repair.

Today was the first major day of the repair of this top. Lots of people told me to take a ton of pictures of the process in case they ran across something like this someday and just to see how good it could turn out.

So I thought what better way than a project thread.

Here is the day I got it. And how I got it home (hour plus drive)

Taped it on the car. There was one latch hole that was salvageable so i put a screw through it and got on my way.

My girlfriend (Faith) and I then sat down and sanded one side so we can epoxy one part of the top. Then taped it to keep pressure. Left it for 2 days.

Today we started to do the repairs. My father who has been in the composite game for 30+ years, Faith just starting, and Me who has been doing it for about 2-3 years. We all started with the biggest crack and then moved onto the crush on the top (of the top) also a small crack on the rear most part of the top near the frankenstein holes.

We then set the car on the top of our parking garage to let it all dry.

Tomorrow we will be flipping it all over laying up the inside and then sanding the outside.

Also we will be laminating nut plates in the top because chaser decided that screwing into fiberglass is okay and the latches ripped out.

Yes I know my car is now red.

Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not bad, it'll come out fine. Wish I could find a deal like that! I scored a $40 carbon fiber hood in similar shape that we re-did for a 240SX one time. Came out great after some epoxy work, body work, and paint.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some shots of it after the lamination.

Doing the inside tomorrow I think along with nut plating.

You can see what condition the inside is in.

Also faith got her 1st "trophy" as we call them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, I'm going to start doing the small thumbnails so you don't have to load like 100gb's every time I update. Click the pic you want. It will make it bigger. Then click it again and it will make it huge.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow great work

Sent from my iPhone using Magic
Awesome thread, can't wait to see it done!
Not bad, it'll come out fine. Wish I could find a deal like that! I scored a $40 carbon fiber hood in similar shape that we re-did for a 240SX one time. Came out great after some epoxy work, body work, and paint.
wow great progress

Thanks for the compliments guys! Hopefully I will see some more composite things that are broken in the junkyard soon!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I'm going to try an do this update on my phone. I am sitting on the parking garages roof at my apartment complex, waiting on the inside of the top to dry.

Today I flipped the top over and repaired to large cracks underneath and put one ply of fiberglass on the part that the top latch connects to.

To answer the question of what I'm going to do with the latch it's simple. This week I got 3 of these metal strips. I drilled some holes and made side latches (worked fantastic). The last on I lined up with a latch. Took the metal strip and then drilled holes accordingly. I had to cut a bunch off but I got it so sit down good. Then I put 2 (of 3 ) screwing in the latch. Got some nuts and screwed it to the latch. Then took some jb weld (I'm having some really welded Monday if it doesn't work) and then let it sit 24 hrs. Now gonna take it. Drill 2 more holes. Rivet it in. Then cut the top of the top open at that point and lay up over the rivet and bam. Close the hole. Sand the top. And get it painted. As good as new. For about $100 in the end. Here are some pictures. Will upload the rest when Its dry:/

Peace !

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh! One more update. I notice a lot of hardtops not fitting in the center. I'm not sure why. I'm working on something to suck mine down in the center, like a metal T that can then be screwed into the stock mirror location!

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ohh awesome! Mcmastercar is about an hr away so I could go pick up but I'm going to see how the rivet on approach works.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glad to see this HT got a new home and the new owner is a qualified surgeon! HT is looking really good.
Thanks Yeah did a little paining. I got most of it black cause the guide coat I'm using is grey. Going to bondo the sides. And then take it off and have it painted. BAM!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.