ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I understand that Flyin' Miata are now selling the BRG blower.

My question is, is the BRP MP62 available for a 1993 1.8 NA?

Ive searched but I may have missed a few posts about this.

Cheers
Mike

·
3,857 Posts
Hi Mike

The company that you are talking about was called
BRP
...then they changed it to Stage One Tuning (SOT) and lately they bought from Flying Miata (FM).

They do have kits for 1.8 lit miatas but these are classified as 94-97 for the NA cars.

In the US they didn't have 93 cars with 1.8lit engines.
BTW if you look the factory sticker it might say 93 (mine is September 93 IIRC) but these car were sold as 94' models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike

BRP
...then they changed it to Stage One Tuning (SOT) and lately they bought from Flying Miata (FM).

They do have kits for 1.8 lit miatas but these are classified as 94-97 for the NA cars.

BTW if you look the factory sticker it might say 93 (mine is September 93 IIRC) but these car were sold as 94' models.
Oooops My bad, too busy thinking of colours there :lol: :lol:

I will check when it was made when it comes over from Japan. All I know just now is its a 1993!

I wonder if there is a way to make it fit.....what is so different between the two engines?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Brg Mp62

BEGI also has a great kit too. A bit more pricey, put it looks nice and performs well. Also it uses a Lysholm Twin Screw Supercharger. Also moss motors has a MP62 kit for 2995. www.miatamania.com . And last but not least www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com has a coldside version of the MP62, and a hotside. The moss version is the only one with the 4 rib design. Everything else uses the better 6 rib. But the moss system has a PC Pro, and a Jr Timing controller. I hope this helps. All these have "Borrowed" from the BRP idea, which was a big supercharger for the 1.8. Just some have improved on it (BEGI/FFS), and some have stuck with the origional. (MOSS)

·
3,857 Posts
Hi Mike

BRP

Oooops My bad, too busy thinking of colours there :lol: :lol:

I will check when it was made when it comes over from Japan. All I know just now is its a 1993!

I wonder if there is a way to make it fit.....what is so different between the two engines?

Cheers
Mike
If you can wait a few months, Tom from FFS is currently testing a kit for the 1.6 miatas!!!
I bet that FM will follow!
So no worries whether the car is 1.6 or 1.8 :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the look of the blower on the Moss site. Looks pretty good!

I take it 6 rib is better than 4? Can this be altered and have the 6 rib fitted?

Cheers for all the help =D>

·
3,857 Posts
Yes you can change a 4 rib system to 6 rib latter on but you will have to change the pulley which will most probably void the warranty.

The 4 rib system is not that bad anyways, it's just the 6 rib that is better...

By the way the new manifold of the Moss system gives +10HP!

·
3,857 Posts
glad we feel the same :D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Great. So yet again we lose tech support and/or install on the East Coast (though BRP/SOT apparently weren't doing much of anything). Hector only works on Saturdays at RSpeed, SOT has basically shut down by farming all their crap out. So if you want an install done by someone who doesn't have their head up their ass and don't want to tackle it yourself, you either wait for Hector's schedule to free up (two-three month wait, iirc, now) or you ship your car to Grand-middle-of-nowhere Junction...

Peachy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
if i was going to get a SC i would order it from this place

http://www.rsaizawa.co.jp/product/engine/eg001.html
ya know that kit looks exactly like the origional 6 RIB Brp kit. Just rebadged. Also its 5,173.69 USD. Without shipping. That makes the BEGI kits look cheap.

For warranty/price/and product support, if I was going to go supercharged again, I would go with the moss kit. It has almost more bang for your buck than the VooDooII Turbo kits. Also if you wait a bit Miatamania.com runs random free shipping sales.

·
3,857 Posts
I got my M45 kit a year ago from Moss (miatamania).
Honestly I never had a problem with the kit and whenever I needed something Moss was there for me!

Just to give you an idea, a month after I got the kit, MOSS started selling the upgraded version with the Powercard.
I emailed them and I told them that I felt tricked because I got my kit in sale and after a month they started giving it in the same price but with a $450+ Powercard.
A couple of days latter the v.p. (I think) or a high up manager called me and he explained that they didn't want to trick me... long story short within a week I got a brand new power card :shock: to upgrade my kit!

Last week I emailed them asking where I can get a new CARB sticker (since I'm going to install the Stage 21 hood)...a few days latter a new CARB sticker arrived (they didn't charge shipping or handling or anything).

A few times in the past I got something and I decided that I didn't like it (after a 15 days) they didn't have a problem to take it back and refund my money...

They do respect their customers and that's something I don't always feel when I talk with FM...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!

Moss sound like the company to go with then.

I wonder how much shipping to Scotland will be #-o

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can always buy the moss kit, and sell the PC Pro/JR timing unit, and buy whatever engine management you want. (MS/Link/AEM/Freedom) From what I hear, the PC Pro isn't that bad. (and if the PC Pro is bad, that would make the VooDoobox that comes with the FM kit, in about the same league.) Also if Moss didn't know their arse from their elbows, I'm sure they would have gone under years ago. They are one of the largest performace retailers in the US. I had a JR SC that I didn't even buy from them, and the hooked me up with the right people to talk to, and gave me the help I needed when installing my PC FI system. Bottom line the Moss kit, is VERY CLOSE to the FM kit. Only difference is the outlet manifold design, rib design, and electronics. (FM doesn't include anything to help with timing either, but it does include the BTB.)

Heres the FM one

and heres the moss one

·
Registered
129 Posts
the top bolt on piece looks thin or small on pretty much all of the mp62 kits i have seen, which always kinda bugged me cause it just looks restricting, but the moss one looks to have more volume
but on a lighter note the kits are so close to identical that no one would be able to tell a difference from the drivers seat between the two.
so it really comes down to the companies customer service...
--has anyone noticed the flyin miata claims that everything they sell is "the best on the market"

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are one of the largest performace retailers in the US.
may well the the case, but Michael is from the UK, and MOSS UK don't know their arses from their elbows. MOSS US just refer you to MOSS UK...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have dealt with a problem like that. (Haltech) (International calling cards unfortunately work the best when dealing with international companies.) The site I ordered the ECU from had a good price, but very bad customer service. So when the ECU went into meltdown, and I wanted a refund, I had to call Australia. I wasted about $2.50USD on an international calling card, but I got a full reimbursement for my troubles. (And my money back for the ECU, they even paid for the shipping of it back to the originating location.) So in the end it was worth it. I recently was going to buy a turbo kit from FM, but after a 2 email exchange with their "Customer Service," I decided I will never deal with them.

Also with FM you have to give them your money to just be put on their waiting list.(A waiting list with no guaranteed ship time) They wanted me to pay in full just to get put on their waiting list. The only information I got out of the sales REP was that the kits were on backorder and shipping would be 140.00. I talked to Steph at BEGI, and a week later I made my order. (They will custom tailor everything to your likes by the way.) Their service is awesome.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Moss is where they are because they sell parts to restore British cars, not because they bought Sebring Superchargers from Jackson, who bought them from Norm Garrett.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts