ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 1623 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
ZYDUHZ UNDERWAY

I was expecting less in terms of quality from the qa1 and all star stuff, I'm quite shocked to be honest.

After seeing concealer machine the c clip grove 1" lower I want to try it out myself. Maybe even use a rotoclip.

I'm excited.

·
THREE!
464 Posts
Tophats aren't the only thing extended after that read!

It's post's like this that stop swaggotry before it starts. Well done!

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
ZYDUHZ UNDERWAY

I was expecting less in terms of quality from the qa1 and all star stuff, I'm quite shocked to be honest.

After seeing concealer machine the c clip grove 1" lower I want to try it out myself. Maybe even use a rotoclip.

I'm excited.

I wouldn't use any of those Rotoclips with the AllStar sleeves. They aren't uniform width all the way around. (Standard snap rings) Stock circlips are fine with the AllStars.

The quality of the AllStar stuff is great. They're literally the sleeves Spec Miata uses. Nice machining, super fat and clean threads, nice and square.

The QA1 "Extended Travel" springs offer great bang for the buck, too.

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Dumb question, if stock Miatas came with 164/96 spring rates, how are the same bilsteins handling 350 or more?
Miatas with Bilsteins are typically HUGELY overdamped. Drive a stock MSM sometime and you'll see what i'm talking about.

As long as you don't go insane with the spring rates, these have a high chance of riding BETTER than stock.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Miatas with Bilsteins are typically HUGELY overdamped. Drive a stock MSM sometime and you'll see what i'm talking about.

As long as you don't go insane with the spring rates, these have a high chance of riding BETTER than stock.
Alright, sweet! I'm piecing together a parts list at the moment, will share when completed to get shitted on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
This seems like a good place to share similar setups & feedback.

Here's mine:

Low mileage MSM Bilstein's paired with 550/350 7", 2.5" Hypercoil Springs w/ Mazda(?) sleeves & collars, Energy Suspension spring isolators & 36mm RE suspension bump stops.
*This is on my 2003 Miata which originally came with the Hard S suspension, I'm using the stock NB top hats.

Car feels much much more flatter than before. It's not that bad in terms of comfort either even though a slight decrease is noticeable in contrast to my stock Bilstein setup. Also, the car is a bit rougher over bumpy roads (as expected). I'll report back once I get to try it out at autocross.

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
This seems like a good place to share similar setups & feedback.

Here's mine:

Low mileage MSM Bilstein's paired with 550/350 7", 2.5" Hypercoil Springs w/ Mazda(?) sleeves & collars, Energy Suspension spring isolators & 36mm RE suspension bump stops.

Car feels much much more flatter than before. It's not that bad in terms of comfort either even though a slight decrease is noticeable in contrast to my stock Bilstein setup. Also, the car is a bit rougher over bumpy roads (as expected). I'll report back once I get to try it out at autocross.

Got a link to those bump stops? Which top hats did you use, and what car is this on? (Apologies if you posted pics that i can't see, my work network blocks a bunch of hosting sites.)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I played this game a while ago, too.

Bought Adam777's old bilstein setup with g/c sleeves. These are revalved NA R-package billies with GC sleeves. 6" spring was too short in back, so I went with a 7". 450/300# rates, ISC rear tophats, bumpstops from my mystery goody box (mostly koni 86 series stuff from my 240s). I ran NA tophats in front.

Ended up buying QA1 springs from summit since they're $38/ea (they're not pictured).

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I've got an MSM, I'm going to be on the cheaper end of this spectrum since 99% of my cars use is DD. If I don't want to go crazy and do helper springs, what should I do for spring rates and lengths from summit?

41 - 60 of 1623 Posts