ClubRoadster.net banner
61 - 80 of 1646 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I've got an MSM, I'm going to be on the cheaper end of this spectrum since 99% of my cars use is DD. If I don't want to go crazy and do helper springs, what should I do for spring rates and lengths from summit?
7" springs. I'd shoot for a 450-500 front, 300-350 rear. I'd also make some Swank Force Racing approved bump stops.

Sending you an email. ;)

·
See You Next Tuesday!
2,188 Posts
All credit to jpatrick for telling me about those. :smile:
Hehe. Thanks man. Concealer has a whole heck of a lot more patience than I do when it comes to posting stuff in the forums.

I'll have to drag up some pics and show/tell everyone how they can run NB tophats on their NA Bilsteins without having to resort to FCM kits to address the shorter length shafts.

One NB bushing and a nylon lock nut and you're in business. Plus a drill, sawzall blade, and pair of needle nose vice grips.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Miatas with Bilsteins are typically HUGELY overdamped. Drive a stock MSM sometime and you'll see what i'm talking about.

As long as you don't go insane with the spring rates, these have a high chance of riding BETTER than stock.
I can attest to this, the msm billies I have are pretty fucking boss.
Lots of success on miataturbo with this exact set up.

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts
Do the all star sleeves extend below the Circlip? Because if so **** yes they will be at my door in 2 days.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,814 Posts
7" springs. I'd shoot for a 450-500 front, 300-350 rear. I'd also make some Swank Force Racing approved bump stops.

Sending you an email. ;)
I'm curious about that. We've talked a little, but 450 just seems like a lot of spring for DD duty. Is it because the MSM shocks are longer?

·
Premium Member
15,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·

·
Premium Member
15,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I'm curious about that. We've talked a little, but 450 just seems like a lot of spring for DD duty. Is it because the MSM shocks are longer?
No, it's because the shocks can handle that quite well. Ride quality isn't affected by spring rate alone. Xidas at 700/400 or even higher ride VERY nicely. It's because they're valved well for the rates.

These shocks are still happy and working well at the ranges i posted.

Will lower also be comfy? Sure. But remember, more travel = more chance of using your bump stops all the time = more butthurt.

Happy medium is best.

·
Mufasa in Training
34,814 Posts
No, it's because the shocks can handle that quite well. Ride quality isn't affected by spring rate alone. Xidas at 700/400 or even higher ride VERY nicely. It's because they're valved well for the rates.

These shocks are still happy and working well at the ranges i posted.

Will lower also be comfy? Sure. But remember, more travel = more chance of using your bump stops all the time = more butthurt.

Happy medium is best.
I really need to give something like this a ride. It's hard to picture because I've got no point of reference.

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts
Ignore all my amazon ****. I thought that it was $40 for all 4 corners and got super excited. Then I realized it was for 1 corner and got sad again.

·
Premium Member
15,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I really need to give something like this a ride. It's hard to picture because I've got no point of reference.
There will be at least two of these setups at MATG coming from Indy, as well as a *gasp* similar setup built on Konis.

And then Marcus if you want to see what some manly spring rates can ride like when controlled properly. :lol: Of course, mine is already 600/400. With my 1.25" front bar, my effective front wheel rate is probably absurd.

·
See You Next Tuesday!
2,188 Posts
Also. Damned you Concealer for making me actually pay attention to something outside of RT here on CR.

And, to add value to this thread, here's a quick and dirty link to the solution to NB top hats on your NA shocks without needing to resort to the FCM "solution", which honestly introduces issues.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1439/PageID/1888/FrankenMiata--Handling-with-a-Hacksaw.aspx

And, just in case there are any FCM fanbois in the house, let me go into further detail on the issues the FCM solution brings to the table.

The top nuts have a tendency to loosen up on those setups. In at least one case with a local Miata guy, the locktite blue couldn't keep the nuts from backing off. I know the guy and he applied it correctly.

If you follow the MotoIQ method though, you get a nice, standard, nylon insert NUT to hold everything together.
I keep checking mine but have had ZERO issues with them backing off.

Also, don't see this particular video linked anywhere yet in the thread.
Could fall under the "what's the best/easiest/fastest way to ASSEMBLE my budget Bilstein setup".

Bottom line is, a 1/4" electric impact does wonders for tightening things up without spinning the shock shafts. Hell, I picked mine up for about $40 or so at Harbor Freight and it's still working wonders.

Also, thank Emilio for all of his numerous contributions to the Miata community and order some of their 949 adjustable end links after doing this. They're pretty much a no-brainer over the RB adjustable links and allow for almost any ride height imaginable for your car. Unlike the do it yourself ones where you have to pick how long the turnbuckles are... I mean, it's possible to figure it out, but the 949 ones are so easy and simple to adjust.

61 - 80 of 1646 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.