ClubRoadster.net banner

1621 - 1640 of 1644 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
Updating thread...

Now that the car's a little lower, my rear springs aren't going anywhere even at full droop, but my front springs can still rattle around a surprising amount. I've noticed on holes (like where manholes got a lot of asphalt around them that I get a definite rattling clunk from the front left corner. Sure a helper wouldn't avoid that?

I'll have to get a video of the available space. Don't even know if I could get a helper in up front--at least not without some compressors.

Also: added Maruhas up front. Surprisingly cheap and you could fool me into thinking that they're OEM.

·
Murse Magnet
7,775 Posts
Updating thread...

Now that the car's a little lower, my rear springs aren't going anywhere even at full droop, but my front springs can still rattle around a surprising amount. I've noticed on holes (like where manholes got a lot of asphalt around them that I get a definite rattling clunk from the front left corner. Sure a helper wouldn't avoid that?

I'll have to get a video of the available space. Don't even know if I could get a helper in up front--at least not without some compressors.

Also: added Maruhas up front. Surprisingly cheap and you could fool me into thinking that they're OEM.
How low of a ride height are you running? My car has been on a lift for the last week and my front springs aren't even loose.

Also, you run a beefy front swaybar. There is no way that your car can go full droop to the point of the spring rattling. Even if both front tires were airborn. The rattling is not related to the spring size.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
Negative on the big sway. Just a 23mm MSM stocker. Even with the wheel off and the sway still attached, the spring has nearly an inch of gap drooped. It's worse with the wheel attached.

·
Murse Magnet
7,775 Posts
Negative on the big sway. Just a 23mm MSM stocker. Even with the wheel off and the sway still attached, the spring has nearly an inch of gap drooped. It's worse with the wheel attached.
But does it have that much movement when only one wheel comes off of the ground?

No. Because the swaybar is attached to that wheel and the other side causing it to not droop fully.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
I don't know the answer to that question, but I can't figure out what else is making the noise. Only does it when the wheel suddenly droops into a bump instead of going over one.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,386 Posts
Then get a helper spring. It shouldn’t hang loose.

·
Murse Magnet
7,775 Posts
You’ve got a few options. You could buy shorter springs and helper springs. You can buy just helper springs and have machined one the shock new circulo retention spots lower on the shock body.

Talk to Cameron. I seriously don’t think this is your issue for noise though. I don’t see how the spring can go to full droop like you photographed if it isn’t on jack stands. Swaybar would prevent that from happening and in the real world both of your front wheels wouldn’t be in the air unless you were jumping the car.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,386 Posts
helper springs are super easy to compress, and relatively flat. they will increase your ride height some, unless you get shorter springs like andy mentioned.

to the point about noise, before you buy anything, i recommend you do to the front suspension what we recommended for the rear - check bolts for torque to spec. start with sway bar mounts, then end links, shock mounts, tie rod end, control arms, etc.

How do your tie rods look? Boot ripped? Any play? I mean, we can WebMD this **** into totaling your car but I really recommend crawling under it and see where you can find play. Put it on jack stands, then put a jack under the wheel and slowly raise / lower it while you’re under the front end - see what you can see.

·
Administrator
15,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,635
Confirmed the only time on your car the spring will unseat will be if it's on jack stands or if you're getting hangtime measured in seconds.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
I'm scratching my head at what the noise could be--basically everything at that corner's been replaced at this point.

·
Murse Magnet
7,775 Posts
I'm scratching my head at what the noise could be--basically everything at that corner's been replaced at this point.
Well, did you isolate away the swaybar? Does the swaybar need new bushings? Does the swaybar need to be greased? What shape are your endlinks in? Did you doublecheck all of your bolts are tightened? What shape are your alignment bolts in? Did you replace the alignment bolts when you did suspension things? It's possible they are slightly slipping going in and out of your driveway.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
Well, did you isolate away the swaybar? Does the swaybar need new bushings? Does the swaybar need to be greased? What shape are your endlinks in? Did you doublecheck all of your bolts are tightened? What shape are your alignment bolts in? Did you replace the alignment bolts when you did suspension things? It's possible they are slightly slipping going in and out of your driveway.
Front sway got new bushings. Couldn't remember if the OEM bars needed to be greased. Endlinks are new OEM. Alignment bolts were replaced 3 years ago when the car was rebuilt.

·
Murse Magnet
7,775 Posts
Did you double-check that the alignment bolts are sufficiently tight? I would try removing your end link and driving around the block to see if your noise is still present.

edit: Wait, but your car is really low. From my recollection, OEM end links don't work well with lower ride height. I'd also suggest looking into some adjustable end links. I remember getting some noises when I had my tokico / fm setup on fm bars with my stock oem endlinks.

·
Mufasa in Training
33,196 Posts
Did you double-check that the alignment bolts are sufficiently tight? I would try removing your end link and driving around the block to see if your noise is still present.

edit: Wait, but your car is really low. From my recollection, OEM end links don't work well with lower ride height. I'd also suggest looking into some adjustable end links. I remember getting some noises when I had my tokico / fm setup on fm bars with my stock oem endlinks.
I've got some old Racing Beat endlinks. I got rid of my 949's (and my RB 1.25" bar) when I first noticed the noise and couldn't figure it out.

1621 - 1640 of 1644 Posts