ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 head is ticking like an alarm clock, build me your ultimate head. If I am rebuilding my head I am doing it one time and doing it right.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
With FM, you are definately paying for the name, but it's a good name that comes with tha good rep.

Ultimate, Are you wanting to keep the 97 head and just rebuild it? because the ultimate head would be a '99-'00 head with the works: Ported and Polished, Port matched, unshrouded combustion chamber, oversize intake and exhaust valves, and upgrades valvesprings and retainers.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw a 99 head on eBay a few months ago for $300, I should have jumped on it. Now I can't find jack. I might just get my 97 head port and polished.

Any input on 99 head vs. 97 PnP?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I did a port and polish on my intake manifold (no port match, though I did my throttle body as well) and I noticed a very slight difference. It seemed a little more responsive, and was a lot cleaner, but I dont think the gain was much if any on a stock car for me. plus I didnt port match (like I said earlier) and did a very slight port job (didnt want to take too much)

·
Registered
668 Posts
You can add a ton of trq w. some head! :D
There's some old timer on m.net that built a ~$8k miata motor IIRC.

Found..
sn: POPSTOY
170hp 150tq

·
Mufasa in Training
33,976 Posts
You can add a ton of trq w. some head! :D
There's some old timer on m.net that built a ~$8k miata motor IIRC.

Found..
sn: POPSTOY
170hp 150tq
After dyno time and all, I think it came to well over $10k for that motor. I'm sure it's worth it everytime that engine fires up, however :)

·
Mufasa in Training
33,976 Posts
By the way...why is your 97 ticking so much? Is it possible your oil pump is failing?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Every time that I'm overdue on an oil change, my lifters make some really nasty ticking. New oil -> no ticking :)

I run 20w50, fyi.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Every time that I'm overdue on an oil change, my lifters make some really nasty ticking. New oil -> no ticking :)

I run 20w50, fyi.
Good lord man.. i run 5w30 wouldnt the oil be to thick at 50w when cold???

·
Registered
514 Posts
stopped my lifter tick :)...

·
4,296 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts

I run 20w50, fyi.
Good lord man.. i run 5w30 wouldnt the oil be to thick at 50w when cold???
It would be 20 when cold. The first number and the "w" go together, with the letter meaning "winter," not "weight" like most people think. In summer it would be 50.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts