ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Old Threads > New Threads
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I may as well post up a build thread on here as I get closer to putting the rest of my car together.

Bought the car in California 3 years ago with 95,000 miles on it and always intended to do a bit of a build on it but was always a broke university student. Now I'm a somewhat less broke university student and figured it was time to start building the car.

How it looked last year (shitty instagram pic):

Started last winter when I was getting tired of the underpowered 1.6 and found a 1.8 to swap in. While doing the swap I wanted to plan for the higher power levels the car would see later on. This included getting a decent clutch and doing a coolant reroute.

Pic while doing the swap:

Got the car thrown back together before going up north for the summer just naturally aspirated with the 1.8 swap as I planned out the rest of the build.

Current parts list

Installed:
1.8 from a '94
Begi coolant reroute
FM level 1 clutch
Megan EZ Streets
Harddog single diagonal rollbar
Ghetto intake setup

Waiting to install:
FM2 turbo kit
Garrett GT2860RS to replace the 2560
FM lightweight flywheel
FM dual feed fuel rail
AEM wideband
TurboXS RFL BOV
6 speed transmission
3.9 Torsen swap

Ordered:
Reverant built MS2 Enhanced

I would like to build the motor down the road to really push the car for higher power levels but for now I'll be aiming for 250whp. I may do a built motor over winter or sometime next spring, depending what happens when the turbo is installed.

Photodump to follow in the next post.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: psulja's '91 Mariner

Pile of parts waiting to be installed

Also built the car a new garage so I wouldn't need to keep finding a place to store it in the winter or work on it at my brother's place:

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Spun a bearing... did a bit too much of this stuff:

Have more videos of the old car but I'd need to do some searching around. Should have a lot of videos of the NA when this is all done.

Also looking to buy a boosted NB this September since I miss my last NB.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Came back home last Sunday and started working on the car right away. Pulled the motor out Monday night to swap oil pans

Rolled the car out so I'd have room for the cherry picker to start putting **** on the motor and so i could power wash the engine bay

cute colours on the engine

Will be running a FlyinMiata II turbo kit with a gt2560rs for the fall.

Got a bung welded on for my oil drain and installed some fittings

Putting my new garage to good use already

That's where the car is at now. Will hopefully have the oil pan back on tomorrow and have the motor dropped in place with the turbo mounted. Picking up my oil feed line and new motor mounts tomorrow and my megasquirt should be in on Friday.

Then all that will be left is building a 3" exhaust and figuring out tuning.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts

Lookin' good, man! Kinda glad I didn't buy the car after seeing how awesome it's turning out. I love the direction it's going and can't wait to see more :icon_cheers:

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Lookin' good, man! Kinda glad I didn't buy the car after seeing how awesome it's turning out. I love the direction it's going and can't wait to see more :icon_cheers:
Thanks morr! Kind of glad i didn't sell it either now that I'm finally able to do all this work to it.

-----

Got some more work done today. Picked up my oil feed, oil pan gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket so I started bolting some **** up.

Turbo bolted on

Then after some cutting and other stupid **** the engine finally dropped in place

Tomorrow I'll hopefully finish hooking things up and pick up my megasquirt.

Need to figure out what to do about my water lines since FM says to tie them into the thermostat housing that used to be in the front of the engine before I did my coolant reroute and deleted that.

Also have to swap throttle bodies to a '94 throttle body so I have an actual throttle position sensor rather than the retarded on/off sensor from the '91 and then install my 550cc rx7 injectors.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks guys!

Got a bit further on the car today. Hooked up the driveshaft and all the other **** under the car as well as all the connectors other than the TPS, IAC, and IAT. Since the motor is from a '94 and I'm retarded I didn't get the connectors from the 1.8 TB for the VTPS and IAC so I'll need to find those somewhere and wire them in. Also swapped injectors and installed the IC and all the piping.

Also, since I did a coolant reroute so the coolant goes through the back of the engine now and each cylinder gets even cooling I have been using a rad hose from an Escalade for my upper rad hose but that gets in the way of my IC pipe that comes up to the TB so I had to rig something up to get it to fit. Got a rad hose from some Oldsmobile as suggested by Revlimiter and cut it up a bit to make it fit and then did some more cutting later to make it fit even better.

Then the old lower rad hose used to run right where the turbo inlet is now so that wouldnt work. Found a random hose at partsource that looked like it might work, cut it up a bit and installed it.

Still need to pick up clamps for all my rad hoses.

Before:

New hoses, the one I used for my lower rad hose was $11 rather than the $50 FlyinMiata wanted for a lower rad hose.

After, this hose was cut more later on to get it to fit a bit better since it was still a really tight fit:

Lower rad hose

MS things happened, car fired up first try

Need to order a new downpipe, and the connectors for TPS and IAC.

Then need to wire those in as well as the IAT, wideband, and boost gauge. Then the rest of the exhaust needs to be built. So likely looking at next weekend having it start because I have to wait on the downpipe and exhaust building stuff.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Haven't updated this thread in a bit, mostly update my thread on MR.net or MT.net.

Car was running pretty good, upped the boost to 14psi then this happened Saturday night.

Sketchiest tow truck driver, took him 3 hours to find me. Didn't even know how to use the race ramps to get the car on the flat bed.

Got the car up in the air and swapped in my 3.9 torsen rear end Sunday morning.

Went out and tested the new diff. If I ever get the video's from Ceshan I'll post them.

Carnage:

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

did the case itself break? My one main cap broke right off and then the pinion sheered on the ring.
Nope. Not until I hit it with a hammer lol, then it broke pretty easily

Sounds like my old downpipe is being put to good use.
Yup, still need to finish the rest of my exhaust.

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Guess I haven't posted in here for a bit. Was enjoying the car as much as I could before it had to be put away for the winter.

Took it to the drag strip, ran a [email protected] on shitty, stretched 195 street tires

Have a pretty decent kill list with the car right now but from what I remember the mods on this site don't let you post those videos... :(

Also put together this video of me ruining a set of tires.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

I like your style! Nice burnout hahaha and donuts!

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Haha thanks man. Was surprised to see this thread bumped up, haven't kept up with it at all

·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Most recent pic of the car:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts