ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Finally got around to making a build page for my Miata w/ C-Package. Before this car, I have (and still have) a 2010 VW GTI w/ DSG. Fun car, way better than the Corolla it replaced (Koni w/ GC Coilover, Hotchkis Swaybar). I got bored w/ it though because I started missing having stick shift.

So I picked up the Miata last July 2011 w/ 104k miles, for a good price. Paint was oxidized as it hasn't been used for a while. Tires were really low on air, but enough to drive it to a gas station half mile away. First thing I did was the oil changes (Engine 5W-30 Castrol, Diff Redline 75W-90, Tranny - Redline MTL). I found out that everything was still clear! I felt like I wasted money changing the oil, but better safe than sorry.

As mention, paint was oxidized

After scrubbing it by hand using Meguiar Ultimate Compound, I got it back to being shiny. 1000 miles after, I did my first Timing Belt job. Took me a few days as I am busy with church and work. Eventually, it finished and everything is well.

Rainy season, I found out the rain rails were leaking, so I took it out and repaired it using bathroom caulk.

Since then, I've add the following mods:
-Hella e-Code 7" round lamp
-LED Trunk light using interior lights from Junk Yard Miatas
-Red LED Gauge lights
-Chevrolet Impala lighted rear-view mirrors
-Goodwin Stainless Steel Brake Lines ($20 from Junk Yard)
-NB Bilstein Shocks w/ top hats
-NB Eibach Springs
-Energy Suspension Polyurethane Rear Bushings (Got it for $25 unused so no front yet)
-Sony MEX-BT3800U Head Unit
-Polk Audio db6501 Component Speakers
-Alpine MRP-F240 4 Channel Amp

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Four things are pending to be modified right now:
Cloth Seats
Being a C-Package, my Miata came with Leather seats. Cleaned it up well, looks nice, but in the end, it doesn't hold me down well enough. So begins my quest for Cloth seats. Picked one up yesterday for $50. Surprisingly, Driver's seat has no tears, but Passenger seat does. One two-inch rip. Being born and went to school in Philippines, they taught us "Home Economics" in elementary, and I actually know how to do a bit of repair sewing. They don't teach those things here in the US lol. (Pics to follow tonight)

Exhaust
I picked up a used Cherry Bomb Turbo II Muffler (not glasspack). I had this exhaust on my 1991 Toyota Corolla and it sounds clean. Deep, not ricey and not too loud. Then I remember I still have my exhaust for my 2004 Toyota Corolla. It is an Apex'i N1 NA Exhaust. Planning to put that in Miata. I can cut off the rear tip a bit to accommodate it better. It will be slightly angled, but not too much. My 04 Corolla is also slightly angled. w/o the silencer, the exhaust is loud, but still deep. So hopefully, it will be the same when I put it on the Miata. I won't be taking off the resonator.

Suspension
I like to emphasize more on handling first, then power. For now, my power needs are filled by my GTI. Having said that, I don't like my current suspension. Eibachs are too low and too soft (12.5"F/13"R). At least it's not bouncy (if it's off bump stops). As soon as I installed it last November, I noticed that bump steer is more pronounced. Me no likey. It bottoms out a lot now too, though the "feeling" is a lot better. Another con is that the alignment place I brought it to doesn't want to adjust "beyond factory specs" so it understeers a bit right now. It seems the previous owner did the "correct" alignment.

Rotating the rear takes a lot more effort now, which led me to force myself to learn kick-clutch. I don't do this a lot BTW. When I do, it's when no cars are present and a wide street so I hurt no one else.

I bought a used set of Tein S-Tech springs which sit higher and a bit stiffer (according to people's posts) for the Miata a month and a half ago and I haven't not installed it. Couple weeks ago, I picked up a set of used Ground Control Sleeves w/ two springs: a 600/250/0300 (L/W/R) and an unknown shorter eBay springs and dead KYB AGX Shocks for the NA. However, it doesn't come with the spring insulators on top. So i'm planning to pick up these insulators from Energy Suspension: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-6103G/ as well as FCM washer. I also purchased 36mm F/46mm R bump stops.

I'm keeping this as a daily driver car, but would like to have fun in Autocross here and there so I decided to go with 375 front springs and 300 rear to give me a 48.2% Front Roll Couple. It may oversteer a bit more, but I can tune that w/ alignment and future slightly larger front sway bar. Im also planing to raise it to 13" F and 13.5" R suspension height to give me more travel, even with increased spring rate.

Soft Top
I bought an NB top w/ frame from someone in the Bay Area. It comes with glass window and defroster. PLUS it comes with a 3" rip in driver side and 1" rip in driver side. All for $100. So planning to just Tear-Aid both rips. My Tan soft top is still in really good condition and no holes. I'll be putting that up for sale.

Radio
I don't like the Sony Headunit I have. I only picked it up because it had Front AUX/USB and BT Streaming. But Sony doesn't sound that great, even if it was driven w/ an Alpine amp so I'm planning to pick up a Pioneer or Alpine head unit.

As for speakers, db6501 should be good, but it doesn't hit hard enough and bass is soft. w/ the Alpine amp, it's a lot better, but still not to par. Anyone know how to fix the bass issue? My friend's 2004 Altima has stock system, and his rear speakers hit hard as if he has subs!

Right now, the door panels are rattling. I insulated the clips, but still rattles. I found out that because of the air that the db6501 moves, it pushes the Speaker grill cloth out and when it lands, it makes that rattling sound. Don't believe me? take off the door panel and hold the panel close to the speaker but not touching. It will start to rattle. While doing that, hold the cloth down and it will quiet down. I'm thinking of taking out the grill, glue the cloth to the metal grill, and it should be good. If not, planning to use the db6501's grill, spray paint it flat black and screw it on.

My upcoming mod is get the MRP-T220 Amp (50w x 2 RMS). A lil stronger than the MRP-F240 (50W x 4 RMS). Plus, w/ the Cloth seats, I won't be needing Headrest speakers. I'll probably use that 4 channel to drive my GTI's system using a line-in input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Cloth Seats
The seats I picked up were from a 1990. Got it cleaned up, shampooed it (as well as my whole interior), stitched up the tear. Then I realized, there's no way of mounting the seatbelt buckle from my 1994! For the 1994, the buckle bolts to the side of the seat, then to the transmission tunnel. The 1990 have no place to bolt it in. I tried taking out the foam and see if I can do a similar setup, but it's too complicated. I've been looking at junk yards for the past week, but I can't find any 1990-1993 Miatas.

Any ideas how to work around that?

Exhaust
Finally got the Cherry Bomb in. Sounds nice outside, not too loud, and deep. However, it has a really loud drone driving around 55-70mph. So back to stock for me. I do wanna try Magnaflow XL w/ offset and 2-2.25" piping, but I don't have money at the moment.

Suspension
Installed the Tein S-Tech springs since my funds are low to buy springs, insulators, etc for the Ground Control. So far, I haven't bottomed out and it sits a little higher. Here are the ride height for Eibach Pro-Kit:
FR 12.75"
RR 13"
FL 12.75"
RL 12.75"

Tein S-Tech Ride Height:
FR 13.25"
RR 13.25"
FL 12.75"
RL 12.75"

We'll see as I drive around more with it.

Radio
Fixed the rattle from the speaker cover by taking it out, spraying the grill with glue, and reapplying the cloth. Definitely reduced the rattling by a lot!

That's all for now! Happy Miata-ing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used Microfiber towel from Target. The 6 pack for hella cheap ones haha. Just a lot of work and sweat lol

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I used Microfiber towel from Target. The 6 pack for hella cheap ones haha. Just a lot of work and sweat lol
Alright cool. I just have to find a time to do it since the bay area's been getting so much rain in the last few days. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts