ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola gang. I have a 99 with a 01 front and since I stuffed some huge wheels under the fenders, I needed to cut the tabs where the bumper mounts to the fender. Right now I have zip ties holding the sides but I'm thinking about going with some bumper latches to make front bumper removal easier.

I found these on youtube but They're kinda big.

Do you guys know of anything more subtle or sleek looking?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
id say stick with heavy duty zipties, they typically look much less retarded than the latches.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks forty. I really like those. I'm going to see if I can find one installed on something and if it's clean enough I might order those and make a bracket similar to the toxicfab kit.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After looking at that $175 push lock kit I came up with an idea...Why not use locking hood pins. They're the same concept but they use a lock instead. I think they'll look pretty good.

I just wont use that ugly carbon fiber.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't really help, but i remember seeing Subaru guys having them. They look like Rivets or little drawer knobs and they come in many different colors. Theres a hook inside that holds the bumper/fender or w/e together so it can be easily taken off. They aren't very expensive either. $100-175 i think.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already ordered a set of the hood pins in the last two pics. If all goes well I will be doing a DIY writeup this weekend.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've already ordered a set of the hood pins in the last two pics. If all goes well I will be doing a DIY writeup this weekend.
I did them on mine and liked them.

I used them on a CF hood I got in which the OE latch on the hood broke.

My friend wrecked my car, and if you look, the passenger side is still latched.
The core support got bent pretty far up.

They sell that exact kit at Pepboys, just FYI

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I did them on mine and liked them.

I used them on a CF hood I got in which the OE latch on the hood broke.

My friend wrecked my car, and if you look, the passenger side is still latched.
The core support got bent pretty far up.

They sell that exact kit at Pepboys, just FYI
yellowihss, you talking about the same one deliverance posted about?

for a bumper, if the zipties secure it well enough (and keeps the flushness between the fender, it might be the best compromise). with my beater bumper, i smacked into a dip head on (shoulda been slow and angled) and the zipties broke with no damage to the fender. if it was too secure, it could have ripped something off of the chassis, destroyed fender, etc which is no bueno.

i need something like that for the OEM bumper just because it's a hassle getting the front end on jack stands-- need the bumper to be as quick release as the splitter/airdam.

p.s. deliverance, keep us updated please!

damn that price tag tho.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only paid $15 for the hood pins. I don't know about the NA but the NB had tabs in the perfect spot for the hood pins and they're about 2" away from the bumper. The reason why I'm not going to use the zip ties anymore is because over time they stretch and I get gaps between my fender/bumper/and headlights. Hopefully these will hold the bumper more securely.

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts
I only paid $15 for the hood pins. I don't know about the NA but the NB had tabs in the perfect spot for the hood pins and they're about 2" away from the bumper. The reason why I'm not going to use the zip ties anymore is because over time they stretch and I get gaps between my fender/bumper/and headlights. Hopefully these will hold the bumper more securely.

Got pics of this? MX6 could use this treatment, i'm sick of zip-tying my bumpers on everytime i work on the car.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the tabs or the pins?

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't done it yet but here's the tab that I'm talking about.

I figured I could just drill through this tab and mount the pin to it and have it go through the bumper as if it was a hood.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
then tighten up the zipties? i must have clicked the wrong one, i saw it was 199 MSRP for the set. NB might be a bit easier to deal w/
srr bumper quick release is what i have,on the inside where it rubs,i have zip ties in a new hole
thanks for that-- IMO that takes care of one of two angles it needs to be clipped on (or i am just too meticulous). that replaces the 2x per side M6 nuts per side (I only use 1x per side to keep it flush), but then do you still use a M6x1.00 bolt between fender/bumper that is close to the tire?

also, do you still use the metal frame that bolts on above the middle of the bumper (right in front of the radiator?) those 6x or so M6 bolts also keep it from being a quick release affair.

i understand the 0 offset may cause most to cut it off, i got it to work with only shaving it off and custom caster settings (minimal). i still have it bolted to the rod that is bolted to the frame.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts