ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know there are tons of reasons why a car is burning oil, but could some of you just throw some ideas my way?

my car has burned throught 1.8Q of oil in 1500 miles. i drive normally, just get on it every so often. its my DD. no engine mods.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
It could be seeping past the rings and entering the combustion chamber. What kind of oil pressure readings are you getting? Is it running a high oil PSI?

On the other hand, it could be something less drastic as well. The above is just one example of what could be going on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That is a lot of oil consumption. Are there external leaks? Exhaust has blueish smoke?
If it is external there will be a visible oil leak, and a pudlle of oil under the car.
If it is internal, you will have blue smoke.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
are you running full synthetic? my car had no leaks whatsoever at 79k miles (91 NA) and i addded full synthetic and it started to burn oil- so i went back to mineral and it stopped... however since i took my car to Kenny The MEchanic on from craigs list- my car has been pissing oil out from the back of the engine....

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Do a leak-down test and a compression test.
Or rather, if you want, have a shop do it. Just make sure they know difference between the two.

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
i dunno what pressure im running at, how do i go about cheking it?
You can't, the oil pressure gauge you see on your dash does nothing. Starting in '96, they put a fake one in, ask me how I know. Dumbasses were getting worried when the needle was moving around, so now once the car is started, it goes to the same spot and stays there until you shut the car off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Synthetic is, as the name implied, lab made, also a molecularly finer oil then regular engine oil. A lot of new cars now are built with tighter/closer tolerances between the moving parts, hence they require synthetic oil. Tighter tolerances mean a more efficient and quieter engine, which means a more expensive maintenance. If you put synthetic into a higher mileage engine, most of the time, it will leak. Besides, unless you run your engine hard, there's no real justification to use synthetic. Especially when your engine is burning oil and you have to add quarts between oil changes.

I used to have a '00 Audi S4 chipped biturbo, I love punching it on the freeway, especially on ramps. And at 4500 mi, my oil was black, twice, I took a sample and sent it to Blackstone Laboratories. According to their report, I can still drive my car a while before the next oil change. I used Mann oil filters, those things are huge and I changed my filter every other oil change. The first sample sent in at 4500mi on the filter, the next sample was 9500mi on the filter and 5000mi on the oil inside the engine. Both times the report come back healthy for the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts