ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have yet to get it, but i'm in the market for a NA 1.8l.

First thing I plan to tackle is wheels/tires, suspension, and brakes.

Before I go get a set of coilovers or spring/shocks, and maybe sways (i've been getting mixed signals on if it's even worth doing these so i'll wait til i've experienced the car to modify) I'd like to put on some bushings.

This car will be daily driven. So I'm a little nervous about Polyurethane, but I wanted to get some input.
The GRM project Miata had a set installed and they loved it. Said it was like driving a brand new car and liveable.
I'm not looking for comfort, but i'm not looking to have my teeth rattled out either.

What are your opinions on this. I think doing it first would be beneficial down the line. Eliminates slop, keeps everything aligned etc.

Discuss

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I was going to do it all over agin I would add one piece at a time. With the miata I believe more is less.

edit: I should clarify, my miata has rb springs/kyb agx's/fm sways/fm tie bushings/ rb cannon brace. The car is quite stiff :roll:

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
I ordered the poly bushings without the adjustable inserts yesterday for my NA8

i've heard good things, so i decided it would be worth doing while i'll putting my stances in.

I'm also going to do tierod ends and spacers while i've got it all apart.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
some spec miata guys actually prefer old stock bushings as they get really hard with age and mileage.

but in my case, I was having trouble getting a accurate alignment in the car. So I added flyin Miata's bushings. ride is fine. Bushings shouldn't hurt ride quality. If it does, this is more a function of spring rates and dampening.

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
I cant get mine to align right on the caster, so i figure replacing them cant hurt, and i got the FM ones too.

any word on the trick setup for tierods matt?

also, any shops you reccommend? my usual shop is pretty swamped right now, plus he overcharged me last time, so I'm weary.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet you'll have to tell me how it is once they're in.

How much did you pay?

I'm not looking forward to installing them. But I've never put any of my cars in the shop and this time will be no different.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I admittedly do a lot of my own work. but for jobs I don't want to do, I do to Dynoxtreme.

The helped with the suspension overhaul in my last miata, and will be doing the engine swap in my current one. They are mostly a supra and skyline shop, but have been getting stead miata exposure ever since the suspension article in SCC. They just finished a complete overhaul of a MSM including ECU, turbo, intercooler, etc.

www.dynoxtreme.net
714-231-4299

Sarkus is the owner and head tech. Tell him Matt Andrews referred you to him.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Definitely put in poly bushings. They don't make the ride harsher, they just transfer more energy into the spirngs/shocks and make them do more of the job they're intended to do.

I just installed poly bushings on my Dad's Miata and he loves it. If the ride isn't too harsh for an old geezer, it should be okay for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just found out I need new bushing because my suspension is having a popping noise come from it :? .....I'm set on getting the FM one's...I've heard the process of installing them is a huge pain so anyone from Virginia (Richmond?) know of any goods shops to take my Miata to get it replaced (no pbc please :lol: )

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just found out I need new bushing because my suspension is having a popping noise come from it :? .....I'm set on getting the FM one's...I've heard the process of installing them is a huge pain so anyone from Virginia (Richmond?) know of any goods shops to take my Miata to get it replaced (no pbc please :lol: )

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm going the polyurethane route, but we may be fabbing them up ourselves considering it can be done for roughly $3 per bushing.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Just found out I need new bushing because my suspension is having a popping noise come from it :?
That popping noise is most likely just an alignment bolt(s) that are loose. I just fixed this problem in my car today. Might need a new alignment after this though. You may need new alignment bolts as well because they stretch out over time and alignment jobs. I still recomend poly bushings though because they do make a big difference and while you are at it get some new alignment bolts because they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a good point that the popping noise is from alignment bolts, but are there alignment bolts in the rear?? because that's where the noise is comming from

·
Registered
344 Posts
Being an Aussie we can get GREAT prices on Super Pro suspension bushings.

If there's enough interest I could do a group buy?

·
Registered
344 Posts
We're doing a "group buy" of the "adjustable" SuperPro Poly Bushings within our club.

Same as these - http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4537&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-97005

Works out about $499 AUD (or $377 USD) per set.

Or $470 AUD (or $355 USD) per set for the normal SuperPro bushes.

If people are interested I could organise a group buy for the forum, we'd probably need 10 buyers and ship to the one location in the states.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts