ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just picked up a 1999 California car. It's now throwing a code suggesting the front catalytic converter is toast.

We are up in Canada and (obviously) not subject to the California CARB stuff - how do we go about deleting all of it so that the car becomes a non-CARB spec? What is different between a CARB and non-CARB car besides the front cat?

·
Administrator
15,101 Posts
There's some o2 sensor stuff you gotta mess with as well. I don't remember the exact details been a long time. But that's really about it. At least it gives you something to search for. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just dealt with this myself. You have two options:
Install a NB2 (or fed spec NB1) Headers without the precat. Weld in an additional o2 bung after the secondary cat and lengthen the o2 wiring. This is a big upgrade from the CA Spec boat anchor headers to the tubular NB2 header design.

If you are trying to stay CARB legal you can wire in a resistor to the first o2 sensor. This will trick the ECU into thinking the cat is ok. Like this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just dealt with this myself. You have two options:
Install a NB2 (or fed spec NB1) Headers without the precat. Weld in an additional o2 bung after the secondary cat and lengthen the o2 wiring. This is a big upgrade from the CA Spec boat anchor headers to the tubular NB2 header design.

If you are trying to stay CARB legal you can wire in a resistor to the first o2 sensor. This will trick the ECU into thinking the cat is ok.
Thank you! Is it possible to delete the other O2 sensor all together? We don't have anything to do with CARB up here.

·
Administrator
15,101 Posts
Yep. :) Sorta.

You might need to do both. Or move it and swap to non-CA ecu.

Federal emissions NB1s still had two o2s. One pre-cat and one post cat. But they only had one cat, so the expected readings are different.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe the secondary cat on a CA Spec car is smaller than the federal cat as well. So if you delete the precat you may need to replace the ca cat with a federal one as well to pass the Sniffer test (if you're in a state that requires it) ..... or add in the resistors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts