ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOD I HATE SMOG LAWS

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62255

California Proposes to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15 Years Old and Older
Pre-?76 Vehicles Would Continue to Be Exempt From Smog Checks
Enthusiasts in California are rallying against legislation that has been introduced in the State Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones to require annual smog-check inspections for vehicles 15 years old and older. In addition, the bill would direct funds generated through the additional inspection fees to be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee for consideration.

The measure represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars for air-quality deficiencies. In 2004, despite objections from the vehicle hobby community, California repealed its rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replaced it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all ?76 and newer model-year vehicles.

?Under this year?s bill, pre-?76 vehicles would continue to be exempt from smog checks,? said Steve McDonald, SEMA vice president, government affairs. ?However, vehicles 15 years old and older?presently ?76??92?that are not currently exempt would move from a biennial test to annual tests with the clear intent of moving them into the scrappage program.?

Sponsors of the legislation ignore the fact that vehicles 15 years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction. Legislators are also ignoring the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well maintained and infrequently driven.

?Implementing an annual test would not only increase the vehicle owner?s cost, but it would also give the state more opportunities to lure these vehicles into retirement,? McDonald added.

Recently, San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution District released an updated smog plan that calls for scrapping 30,000 passenger cars, five times the number previously planned. Scrappage programs, widely rejected by other states as an ineffective means of cleaning the air, accelerate the normal demise of vehicles through the purchase of older cars which are then typically crushed into blocks of scrap metal.

?By virtue of these scrappage programs, the vehicle hobby risks the loss of potential collector cars and parts forever that could have been used in a project,? commented SAN Director Jason Tolleson.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If they want to smog mine every year vs every two - alright. Who cares ... (at least I don't ). A smog check costs about $40 - as much as a tank of fuel

Lately I see tons of '80s- early '90s japanese trucks and cars on the freeways smoking like no tomorrow. Probably so cheap that the owners don't bother fixing them and driving behind such is a pain ... I hope more smog checks at least help with putting these gross polluters off the roads ...

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,049 Posts
"ignore the fact that vehicles 15 years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population"

ignoring?!? i think not! they want less cars on the road!!!

anyhow, there are lots of reasons to oppose this rule, i for one, would be totally against it because it wastes my time to take my car to a smogging station, on top of that, that means that we will be wasting money and giving it to the state when they already are collecting our a**es already... have you seen how much a ticket price has increased? have you guys read new laws that are already in effect or that are going to be?!? amazing how crazy and out of hand our government has been imposing on us due to their lack of guidance, interpretations, understandings, and planning.

huh,
TeRRy

·
Registered
264 Posts
goddamn i can't even imagine how bad that would suck if it passed. it would be a waste of time every year, i know alot of people run cars that wouldnt pass smog currently and having to change them back to stock so they would is just a pain in the ass. PLUS if you have your car smogged by an underground place so you don't have to change your stuff thats not cheap either.

·
Registered
593 Posts
goddamn i can't even imagine how bad that would suck if it passed. it would be a waste of time every year, i know alot of people run cars that wouldnt pass smog currently and having to change them back to stock so they would is just a pain in the ass. PLUS if you have your car smogged by an underground place so you don't have to change your stuff thats not cheap either.
yep... :x

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This yeah I had to do the following to pass smog

New Cat 130.00 installed
new O2 22.00
smog check 50.00 (FAILED no free retest anymore)
new pcv 6.00
smog check 50.00 (passed)

total 258.00

Can you imagine having to do it every year......

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
yea i can. i do it in reno, nv every year = P

too bad they dont care if you have any modifications. as long as it passes smog your in the clear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This yeah I had to do the following to pass smog

New Cat 130.00 installed
new O2 22.00
smog check 50.00 (FAILED no free retest anymore)
new pcv 6.00
smog check 50.00 (passed)

total 258.00

Can you imagine having to do it every year......
So, you're car was dirty (it failed smog) and you had to fix it in order to polute less. And you think this was wrong? What next? To allow everyone to be able to dump their cat converters because they feel like it?

IMO, the more often cars are enforced to go on the smog dyno and those which fail the smog check be enforced to get fixed or scrapped - the better ...

P.S. Talking about cars used for driving on public roads of course ...

Btw, in my home country each year the cars are even put on a brake dyno which measures the braking force of each individual wheel/tire and the parking brakes too. And if any is out of spec, you don't get your registration renewed until you fix your brakes.

And in countries like Germany I've seen the cars even put on a shaker rigs (machines which simulate the car moving on bumpy roads), the technician staying under the rig and looking at your shocks and suspension working and if he sees something not working in spec - i.e. suspension, shocks, etc. - you're sent to fix these

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I don't see the big deal; in the UK, anything over 3 years old gets an annual inspection, that includes emissions, suspension, brakes. MX5s have no problems passing, if they're working right. A cat pipe doesn't make the car run any better; I know because I had one on my 91. "having" to replace the O2 sensor; well, once again, the car wouldn't be running too well with a duff O2 sensor. For a start, you're guzzling more guess (though coming from the land of cheap petrol, perhaps that doesn't mean much). And as for reducing the average age of the car fleet; too right! Newer cars are more fuel efficient, safer, kinder to the environment. You might feel thats unfair on your MX5 (though what does a PCV cost? peanuts), but whenever I'm in the US, I am shocked at the condition of some beaters on the road, with bits hanging off them. California needs all the help it can get judging from the disgusting air quality I noticed in some areas.

If car owners can't afford to maintain their cars correctly (and it doesn't take big money to do so), they should take a bus.

And count yourself lucky; in Japan, the Shaken is staggeringly expensive, costing at least $800 ever two or three year, ramping up according to the age of car (because of the increased parts that need replacing); a lot of the imports coming here wil have short or not existant Shaken tickets, and consequently might be in a bad mechanical condition.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This really doesn't bother me at all. As someone posted above, it's not that expensive, there are tons of cars that probably should be inspected annually and I run legal parts.

The only thing I would request from the state is an easy way to provide for the certification, meaning I don't want to have to wait in line for 3 hours at the DMV.

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, you're car was dirty (it failed smog) and you had to fix it in order to polute less. And you think this was wrong? What next? To allow everyone to be able to dump their cat converters because they feel like it?

Can you tell me where I thought this was wrong? Just because I complain about the law doesn't mean I'm not legal, also I have never ran without my cat because I like the fact that if a cop pulls me over he can't bust me for anything I've done to my car. I invite you to check it out yourself at our weekly meet if you want to, you'll find only a Greddy turbo with the following on it:

CARB E.O. # D-397

·
Registered
280 Posts

Can you tell me where I thought this was wrong? Just because I complain about the law doesn't mean I'm not legal, also I have never ran without my cat because I like the fact that if a cop pulls me over he can't bust me for anything I've done to my car. I invite you to check it out yourself at our weekly meet if you want to, you'll find only a Greddy turbo with the following on it:

CARB E.O. # D-397
I am not saying your car is illegal or care about the CARB sticker.
All I wanted to say is that the smog check helped.
The car failed covering the smog numbers because of a broken part (the PCV valve) and the smog check helped catching that broken part. And the end result was a car with cleaner emissions.
And if the smog checks are annual vs bi-annual, similar smog problems in many cars will be caught and fixed more often which is a good thing ...

I would love the annual inspection to also include suspension check, brakes, headlights operation & aiming, etc. like in Europe - but such thing will need building the testing infrastructure first so it can't happen any time soon ...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
yup, i think it's a good thing too. In NY we get checked yearly. It costs very little and I'm sure you waste much more time on things much less important than the environment so the complaint of wasting a couple hours out of one day of the year is pretty sad. Yeah, I like cars but let's not be selfish here. It's no joke that cars **** the environment so doing a little bit to help shouldn't get your balls in a twist. It would be good too if they checked suspension, brakes and whatnot (especially if the trade-off was some roads with no speed limit). There'd probably be more accidents avoided from people having poorly maintained cars. Not to mention it would be nice if not just any idiot with a couple hours behind the wheel could get a license. The moral is our countries laws regarding car are very lax in comparison to other industrialized countries. Cars are cool but far from the most important thing in the world so let's not be selfish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My complaint is that this new legislation is just a smoke screen for large corporations. Did you know the biggest polluter in Socal is the trucks in LA Port, but do you hear anyone yelling about that?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts