ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing the ground controls on my R package Bilsteins, the only way I was able to achieve my desired ride height was with a LOT (well, roughly 1inch, but that was way more than i feel comfortable with) of free space in between the spring and its perches when the shock was at full droop. I think this is called spring float, and to cure this i would need "negative preload" by way of a helper spring... or at least that's what i've gathered from reading thus far.

So, my question is, all of you with Ground Controls (or other "coilover" sleeves) on Konis or AGX or Bilstein, what do you do? And have you ever had any problems running with the potential of the spring floating?

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin

·
Registered
291 Posts
Kevin,

I'm running GC on Konis and I have the same situation. At full droop, the spring is completely free. I suppose I could use a helper, but I haven't really seen the need. I haven't really noticed any problems on the street and New England roads are the pits. I haven't experienced any problems at auto-x either. I've been on them for about a year.

Bruce

·
Registered
514 Posts
wouldnt that put unnecessary stress on the damper??

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Can the spring unseat itself like that under extreme cornering? I personally would do whatever I had to in order to have the damper and spring working together at the same time (that IS after all what they're designed for). I'd imagine you would wear out the shocks relatively fast in comparison.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Can the spring unseat itself like that under extreme cornering? I personally would do whatever I had to in order to have the damper and spring working together at the same time (that IS after all what they're designed for). I'd imagine you would wear out the shocks relatively fast in comparison.
He totally said that a hell of a lot better than i did. :p

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
You know what, I just thought about it...

Why not just move the spring up (as in, thread the spring seat upwards)? It's not like it's going to heighten your car if the springs aren't on the upper perches when it's not jacked up anyway.

I don't know why I didn't think of that before...

·
Registered
405 Posts
The spring only sits like that when the car is jacked up. As soon as the car the spring sits in the perch. My car ran like that(and still does). At full suspension droop, it will unseat the spring. Never had an issue though, and I took my class in autox the year I put that suspension in place.

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
yea, pretty safe, only reason you would be afraid of is cars that dont have a spring over shock (spring sits in a different area than the strut) like AE86s and most fwd cars. driving down the street, havign the spring sit too low, will just fall out then...ooops

·
Registered
668 Posts
Every spec miata in the country has the same droop. Mine's ~2in.
Race miata's bounce off crubs on the track w. no issues.
You're safe unless you start rocking the confederate flag on your hardtop! :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yea, pretty safe, only reason you would be afraid of is cars that dont have a spring over shock (spring sits in a different area than the strut) like AE86s and most fwd cars. driving down the street, havign the spring sit too low, will just fall out then...ooops
Ive seen both ae86 and 510s with droop and even then the only issues were the springs reseating with a loud ass clunk. but never saw one come out... totally possible depending though

·
Registered
552 Posts
blue, just noticed you cut your bumpstop the same way i did when i did the install but i've heard its better to use the bottom portion is there an agreement as to which is the better solution?

·
Registered
552 Posts
not sure if im bottoming out onto the bumpstop or not..

the only time i have any issue is on the freeway over the uneven portions that drop the car down.. haven't heard a thud or anything yet but it does toss me off my seat a little and toss whatever i have in the trunk.

trying to figure out if this is a spring/shock mismatch -- or bumpstops -- or normal

rear ride height.. ~12.5inches

and i have ~1cm of shock rod showing between the bumpstop and top of the shock body. spring rate is 375. shocks are R bilsteins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone tried the stiffer gc springs with the koni race shocks yet? i plan on getting this set up but i dont want the droop. my friend had the same problem on his 240sx. i didnt like it when i sat in his car or drove it. please let me know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts