ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a Tech Question and I am open to suggestions!! :)

I am about to start the installation of my new '95 (3000m) engine but have the itch to install a set of cams or a 99+ head/intake. The engine will stay N/A and be conected to a 99+ 6spd with my stock R-package rear (4.10),as you can tell I will give up some top end but may have more gearing options for the way/were I drive( fast on curvey mountain roads). What whould be suggestions on aftermarket cams or should i go with the swap. And, has anyone seen someone who can do ECU tuning on stock Miata OBD 1 ecu's ,such as, what the Honda aftermarket has? Is the 99+ heads VVT on only one or both cams and is it a positive or negitive switched signal as that and the varible intake could be controlled by a MSD rpm switch or switches.

Someday ITB's will be part of the setup 8)

·
Registered
592 Posts
The VVT will not without some serious wiring work. I just spoke to Flyin' Miata and the answer I received from them is that it will take too much to gain too little. To run the VVT, you will need the Hydra and much of the wiring harness of a 01+ car.

The things I have read is the 99 head flows very well and should give you a few ponies.

The real questions are
How fast do you want to go -and- how much money do you have?

NA power is there, but is very expensive.

·
CR.net Supporter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to try and check into the VVT system closer. I know like you have said about the use of a aftermarket ecu or wiring swap as being the normal or used practice,but, I think that I may be able to simplify the set up as in factory form the change when vvt is in operation is very soft making me think I can get by without any fuel inrichment. so now the search is on for a head :twisted: . Thanks for the input on my quest.

·
CR.net Supporter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
miata95r said:
I am going to try and check into the VVT system closer. I know like you have said about the use of a aftermarket ecu or wiring swap as being the normal or used practice,but, I think that I may be able to simplify the set up as in factory form the change when vvt is in operation is very soft making me think I can get by without any fuel enrichment. so now the search is on for a head :twisted: . Thanks for the input on my quest.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
No VVT untill 2001+, my freind. you may be thinking of the VICS system on the 99 intake. That can be controlled with a solenoid and a RPM switch.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
not sure you will see very much gain from the VVT in a NA set up. If I were you I would focus on finding a 99-00 head as flow seems to be a little better because of the intake manifold on those. The biggest gain you get other than power by doing this head swap is solid lifters. You can spin them a lot higher than the NA HLAs. Do a spring and retainer job on the head when you put it in, and you should be able to spin it pretty high...

·
CR.net Supporter
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to local junkyard today and scored a 2000 head!! $ 400.00 now to get cams

1 - 8 of 8 Posts