ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys if you saw my thread in the F/I section I recently aquired some turbo items. I was thinking about buying the few things more that I needed (MS, Injectors, Manifold, Pump etc..) but I have one thing that keeps popping up. 164,000 miles on the original engine/tranny. I've regularly changed the fluids and all other maintenance, I just don't want to be on the side of a the road with a gapin hole in my engine because of the miles. Long story short....should I boost the 164,000mile engine or should I bolt on a few more n/a components and wait til a lower mileage engine comes along?

P.s I could still do clutch/flywheel/pump/ms just no boost i guess

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Check compression and do a leak down test. Plentttyyyy of high mile miatas running around boosted. Get a GOOD tune as well.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I'd definitely suggest doing a compression check prior to making a decision. If your compression is already on the low side, understand that you're going to be accelerating the engine's wear, but there's still no reason you can't have plenty of happy boosted days ahead of you. Besides, these are miatas. If you do the labor yourself, swapping another '99 motor in can set you back only $750 or so when the time finally does come that your current motor is worn out. You didn't mention what kind of power goals you have, but if you want to keep the longevity of the motor up and want to keep the breaking of other parts to a minimum, considering the mileage you're at, if I were in your shoes I'd probably keep it around 8 psi and have a blast right under/near 200 at the wheel. If you're looking to get well north of 200, plan on wearing that motor down sooner and breaking other parts too.

P.S. gaping holes in the motor happen because of bad tunes, not because of high mileage motors.

-Ryan

·
Registered
158 Posts
at that mileage, if the compression numbers are good (not too low and close enough to each other) then you're good to go. I turboed my miata with 171k on it and I've done a few thousand miles without problems. Been slowly learning how to tune my megasquirt. Getting a full standalone EMS and a tune will be what helps you not blow up

oh yeah, and if you're afraid of blowing your engine, just have an extra one in the garage like me :p

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
Just boost it. If it's healthy, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just put a BEGI-S on my motor with 164,000. She is running so fine you would have thought I put a new motor in. But the way I figure, if the turbo blows the motor, I'll just replace the motor with a fresh one.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey guys if you saw my thread in the F/I section I recently aquired some turbo items. I was thinking about buying the few things more that I needed (MS, Injectors, Manifold, Pump etc..) but I have one thing that keeps popping up. 164,000 miles on the original engine/tranny. I've regularly changed the fluids and all other maintenance, I just don't want to be on the side of a the road with a gapin hole in my engine because of the miles. Long story short....should I boost the 164,000mile engine or should I bolt on a few more n/a components and wait til a lower mileage engine comes along?

P.s I could still do clutch/flywheel/pump/ms just no boost i guess
1) do a compression test
2) do a leakdown test
3) Check vacuum?

Analyze all the data, post it up on miataturbo.net for help and listen to the suggestions.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Bro just slap it on there. You don't even need a tuning solution. Just run stock ECU, it's legit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
1) do a compression test
2) do a leakdown test
3) Check vacuum?

Analyze all the data, post it up on miataturbo.net for help and listen to the suggestions.
This, my 1.6 has 172,XXX miles with the turbo on for about 20,XXX miles. bone stock motor. with stock ecu, i have a ms to throw in come spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts