ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 92 1.6.

I got tired of the stock exhaust long ago, and had a muffler shop custom build me a new system. It consisted of chopping the old muffler off, making a Y, and adding 2 big "fart cans" from Summit.

It was fun for a while. The exhaust sounded great at low rpms, then really screamed at speed. After a while though (like 6 months) the droning REALLY got to me.

Now, I was told by a friend who has NB FM duals on his NA that they would have been just as loud as mine except he had a resonator, making them sound very nice.

I was wondering if the same could be done for my setup. I don't really want to drop $400 on a new system when I could quiet this one for maybe $75 (cheap muffler shop I go to).

I mainly want to get rid of the horrible drone that gives me a headache while at highway speeds.

Would an 18" glasspack suffice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I would get the racing beat mid pipe with resinator for 150-

then buy the canister muffler of your liking maybe 100-

and take it to an exhaust shop and have them make a flange for it 80-?

plus you can always change the can if you're tired of it without hacking up the piping

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
resonator always works, welded in for like 30 bucks(i think) at a local shop, since its already a custom system, not some named brand so chopping it up dont really matter(well to me at least)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
resonator always works, welded in for like 30 bucks(i think) at a local shop, since its already a custom system, not some named brand so chopping it up dont really matter(well to me at least)
I agree. This will be the 4th or 5th time I've modified the exhaust on this car :shock:

Okay then One of my buddies has an 18" glasspack that he says quiets it down a LOT. What's the diff between a glasspack and a resonator? The local expert said that the glasspack would quiet it down quite a bit... I just want it quieter without buying an entire system :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glasspack works. I added one to my old system and it really quieted it down. I'm only running a single glasspack right now and it's really loud (not daily driven).

I prefer the sound of magnaflow mufflers but haven't gotten around to making a new system yet. You can get the 4" round mufflers cheap off ebay (@$50-$60 shipped).

IMO, the magnaflow sound is higher pitched but more controlled. The glasspack sound is much deeper but less controlled. I'm sure it's hard to understand what I mean by "controlled" but I can't think of another way to describe it. The Magnaflow will flow and sound better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts