ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2000 miata that I want to replace the headlight assembly (pair) on. Everywhere I look, it seems that 99-00 have their own set and 01-04 have their own set. What is so different about them? Can the 01-04 fit in my 2000? The connecting points look similar in images, however I can't tell for sure without having one in hand to verify. If I'm going to buy new assemblies, I'd rather buy aftermarket than OEM, so if 99-00 is my only option...please recommend a good place to see what styles are available. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not 100% sure about the entire assembly, but I know that the lights themselves use different connectors on the NB2 than on the NB1. If I get some time this weekend I can try to swap out my assembly (~01) with my buddies ~99 and see if it works as far as the assembly fitting... if it does, then you could buy an 01+ assembly and just put the 99-00 lights in it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 99-00 headlights are much rounder, while the 01-04 headlights tips are a bit pointier. You can use the 01-04 headlight on your 99-00 bumper, but the fit will be off, unless that doesn't matter to you. The connectors are different. IIRC you have to get a female end connector or something and MCcgauyver a new connector. My friend did it for me so I forgot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not 100% sure about the entire assembly, but I know that the lights themselves use different connectors on the NB2 than on the NB1. If I get some time this weekend I can try to swap out my assembly (~01) with my buddies ~99 and see if it works as far as the assembly fitting... if it does, then you could buy an 01+ assembly and just put the 99-00 lights in it.
That would be awesome if you get an opportunity to do this. If you could take pics as well and then I would be able to see the fitment issues that Hey JT! is referring to. I appreciate the responses! :icon_cheers:

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Besides the fact that 99-00 lights have a single light for low/high beams while the 01-05 lights have separate bulbs, the shapes are different and don't fit the bumper lines properly.

01-05 lights have a projector for the low beam and a separate bulb in a different part of the housing for the high beam...so in order to run these lights you would have to cut and splice two new connectors on and make a new ground for you new high beam connector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Besides the fact that 99-00 lights have a single light for low/high beams while the 01-05 lights have separate bulbs, the shapes are different and don't fit the bumper lines properly.

01-05 lights have a projector for the low beam and a separate bulb in a different part of the housing for the high beam...so in order to run these lights you would have to cut and splice two new connectors on and make a new ground for you new high beam connector.
Fair enough...guess the 01-05 headlights are out of the question for me then. How about a vendor for 99-00 headlights? Do you/anyone else know of any?

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeup, NB2 front end is slightly different thus the headlights will also be different. Most people who do the headlight conversion also replaced the bumper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose I could change the bumper, but I'm quite satisfied with the one I have. Maybe another day. I'm just looking to change them because they are chipped (not real bad, just thought I would look into changing them and found that I got stuck with a slightly different design).

Hey JT!: Is it the same car in the pics you are showing only one with the NB1 bumper and lights and the other with the NB2 bumper and lights? If so, it has a better looking fit than I expected and I may end doing that at some point then. Thanks again for all the info everyone :phillyb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just messaged the person I purchased the car from and it turns out it came with an 03 bumper and 03 headlights. I just assumed that because the car is a 2000 that it came with 2000 bumper and headlights...silly me!

·
Registered
344 Posts
As others have explained, slightly different and different wiring.

Early NB headlights are a fraction shorter and rounder (almost 1cm at a guess?) on the insides and a fraction deeper on the bottom.

I ran a later NB bumper with the early headlights, the fit wasn't perfect but I didn't mind.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
I don't think this was explicitly stated yet, so here it is:

The NB1 and NB2 headlights are different where the light meets the bumper.

The bumpers are different as well.

The fenders and hood are the same.

A complete NB1 to NB2 conversion can be had by swapping the bumper, headlights, and splicing some connectors. That's all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts