ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this should go here... But anyway.I have removed a lot of half shafts in my time. And i've had some real SOB's. But this is RIDICULOUS! I have a 3 foot pry bar. All my strength and even pushing on the chassis with my legs. Nothing. Broken 2 big screw drivers. Tried using another big Klein screwdriver as a wedge, beating on it with a 3 lb mallot to "wedge" the shaft out. Nothing. Used a 5-1/2 foot long piece of 1" solid steel bar. Ground one edge down to act as a pry point. Bent the end of the bar and broke off a fin on the diff. What more can i do?!?!?!?!? I am at my wits end....

It's a '96...

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I always just undo the top a-arm, grab the top of the rear brake disc, push in and then yank out really hard and it usually pops them out in 1 or 2 tries

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Hit it with a torch. These get stuck pretty often on the older cars usually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always just undo the top a-arm, grab the top of the rear brake disc, push in and then yank out really hard and it usually pops them out in 1 or 2 tries
Haha... I wish. I have no idea what the hell is going on. I'd just end up ripping the cv joints apart if i tried pulling on the shaft... The shafts and joints are fine. I'm putting in a torsen, just want the damn diff gone.

Would a torch help? Would the heat get all the way down in there? I'd also prefer not to cook the **** out of the diff... Mess up seals and whatnot. Torch will be a last resort though...

·
Registered
638 Posts
it should just pop out with the prybar wedged in between the cv and the diff.. Mine popped out with no problem. Not sure why it would 'sieze' only thing thats looking it in, is a small clip that recesses into it's slot under enough pressure. Agreed yanking on the axle will cause the cvj to come apart (oops me to).

Do you have the knuckles off? if the hub/knuckle assembly is still together, you won't have any wiggle room to back it out. I've always had to undu the top bolt behind the brakes (removing caliper) and let it lean down.

With the upper bolt off, the knucke should swing down, and it's easy to get the outer CVJ out, then a simple pry-bar between the CVJ on the inner axle and the diff housing, and it should just pop out a bit, and slide out with no issue.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of one big pry bar use 2 pry bars of a reasonable size. It'll hang up every time if you keep going at it from only one side. Gotta pry on both sides of the shaft so it comes out straight.
I've tried wedging a big ass Klein screwdriver in at an angle acting as a wedge on one side. Beating it in. Then prying on the other side with a 3 foot pry bar. I figured that should distribute the load relatively evenly. Made no difference. I have never in my life seen anything like this. The shaft does move an 1/8" or so. So I don't think the splines are frozen or anything. It must just be the clip refusing to move....

... And yup, i undid the top bolt of the knuckle/hub assembly. So there are o contraints on the shaft being able to come out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
have you tried pushing it in. rotating the axle 1/2 a turn and then giving it another 'tug job'?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you tried pushing it in. rotating the axle 1/2 a turn and then giving it another 'tug job'?
Yeah, i tried spinning the shaft to different positions several times and then prying. No movement.

Thanks for all the input here guys. I do appreciate it. Like I said, i've changed lots of half shafts, so i'm used to having them stick and having to use a little persuasion. This is just crazy town though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had the car for 8 years and 50k miles. When i bought it, it was bone stock. I don't think anything was tampered with, and the rear diff is definatey open. Certainly doesn't mean some dumb ass didn't do something stupid... But odds are slim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gave up on the drivers side. Switched to the passenger. Same issue!!!!

I am so f$&@ing frustrated right now.... I need a beer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I WIN!!!! I had a beer. And went back at it with everything i had. I took a 12" tie rod seperator (pickle fork) wedged it beteeen the diff and the half shaft. Took a 5 lb hammer and hit that mother as hard as i could. Took about 10 HARD hits per side and mushroomed the hell out of the back of the pickle fork, But they both came off! Take that you SOB!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like it just needed a shitload of anger. Time for another beer...

·
Registered
638 Posts
jesus.. pics of your effort? that's insane, I thought getting the Axle nut off was PITA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts