ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 94 NA has been having intermittent power loss/no acceleration. Car will idle fine but sometimes as I get on the gas the car won't accelerate and just feels like its bogged up and the revs stop climbing. When this happens it happens in every gear. I basically just keep dropping revs until the car dies out or loses power steering. Check engine light comes on some of the times when this problem surfaces and stays on for a bit before going out.

This issue started at the beginning of this year (2017). Since then I've had the ECU replaced which seemed to fix the problem for two months until it happened again. The catalytic converter was also replaced for a new OEM one and also didn't solve the problem.

This is where I am currently so any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For maintenance and troubleshooting...
Change your spark plugs and spark plug wires. It is acting like as the cylinder pressure rises the spark cannot cross the gap.
Also change your fuel filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:

Found a lot of water in my trunk and battery was free to slide around in its little plastic tray.
Found the source of the leak so no more water.
Tightened up the battery and cleaned the battery terminals all connections to the battery are good now.

Car starts and idles fine but once I start getting on it like past 4krpm the problem surfaces. For example: In 2nd gear accelerating past 4krpm at about 4500 the car has a slight loss of power until it passes 5krpm.

Anyways going to continue looking into more possibilities (fuel filter,spark plugs, TPS,etc.) will update again if I find the problem or if I still don't.

Thanks everyone who commented so far really appreciate it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are two video of when the problem occurred. One while driving the other I pulled over and was in neutral.

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
My thoughts are. A its the cat, unbolt it, if it runs fine then thats your problem, B Check the grounds on the back of the engine C bad Mass Air Flow Sensor or corroded wiring?

·
Registered
137 Posts
From the video I'm now thinking its the MAF sensor. Find a friend with a 1.8l na and start swapping parts until yours runs good and his runs like poo.
(At the least disconnect the MAF sensor, blow on the wires and what not, and plug it back in, N64 style.:mrgreen:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

Replaced the MAF and TPS. Spark plugs look good (haven't checked the coil pack yet).
The car runs fine at the start but always seems to hesitate under acceleration around 4500rpm. Did a test drive and some of the times the car revved all the way out but the more I drove it the more likely the car refused to pass 5krpm like a hard limiter.

Narrowing it down, thanks again everyone :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

Still haven't found the solution...

I was finally able to get a CEL code reading which was 17 (Heated Oxygen Sensor). I then changed said sensor and the car ran okay for a day and then acted up again.

I also changed the fuel pump as I was told by a few car friends that that may be the problem. After changing this the car ran perfectly for a few days until it finally acted up again in the same way it usually does where I lose power until the car eventually dies.

I will continue to be checking other possibilities but all comments/advice is appreciated thanks!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts