ClubRoadster.net banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, this new graphics project has turned out to be more difficult than anticipated. (Story of my life, lol!) I decided that the 1" red stripes I used were too narrow, so I stripped them off to replace them with 2" stripes. Now, the condition of the paint on my car has always been a bit dodgy. So, when I pulled off the 1" stripes, there were two areas, the passenger door and the quarter panel behind it that the clear coat stripped right off with the tape. Well, crap. Oh well, I've been planning on a repaint in the next few years. :dunno: Not going to freak out about something I can't change.

Back to the stripes! Bending 2" tape around curves is a LOT harder than doing the same with 1" tape! It took multiple tries to get it done, but I stuck with it (insert rim shot) and got the back and sides done.

I really like how it looks with the windows down. The red stripes and the red door bolsters look really cool together.

You can see the clear coat damage through the tape on the two areas, but it passes the 10 foot test, so I'm not going to stress about it.

This is the transition from the door to the hood up by the windshield frame. I used matte black vinyl to cover the white between the red strip and the windshield frame. This is one of my first tries at using knifless cutting tape. It turned out pretty good, but I ended up having to strip it off. More abou that later.

My goal with that little bit of striping was to curve it so that the door would transition smoothly to the hood stripes. I accomplished that, but then I had to curve the stripes on the hood as well. The hard part was getting the curve on both stripes to be mirror images of each other. After a couple of attempts, I scrapped that idea and laid the hood stripes out as straight lines instead.

But that makes the transition pieces a little more complicated. Here, you can see the issue.

Now, I'll have to make transition pieces from the hood to the doors, instead of just using 2" tape. That will entail using the knifeless tape to make a short piece off red strip that is slightly wider on the end that meets the door than on the end that meets the hood. I have some 3" tape on order to use for that little detail. I can't do anything with that until I get the new tape, so I decided to move on to the hood.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Now for the big piece of vinyl!

This is the biggest single piece of vinyl that I've ever worked with, and the first time I've installed vinyl with the dry method. Pre-cut strips are easy to float into place and squeegee down, but big stuff like this is best installed dry so you can stretch it. I watch a BUNCH of videos on Youtube to learn how to wrap a large panel like this. One thing that makes this job a little easier is that I only have to worry about two edges, the front and back, since I used cutting tap for the taper on the sides. It took me quite a while and lots of lift-stretch-lower-squeegee-repeat to get the results I wanted, but eventually, I had this:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
After pulling the cutting tape:

But wait! What happened to the red stripes you already put on the hood?!?

I had actually already laid down the red stripes on the hood and used them as a guide for the cutting tape. However, the gaps between the black and the red were too large for my preference, so i stripped off the red and re-applied it, snugging the edges together. After that, it looked better, but not perfect. One tip I read online is to apply a pinstripe over the seam, which will cover any gaps and give protection to the seam as well. I considered a white stripe and a gloss black stripe, but I think the black will look best. I'll pick up a roll of glass black pinstripe tape after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The next step was the front bumper. A much smaller piece, but with more complex curves. This time I didn't bother to remove and reapply the red stripes, since I decided that I'm going to use the pinstriping trick anyway.

You can see a little bit of white between the red and black on the left side of the bumper and at the leading edge of the hood on the right side.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Of course, she wouldn't be complete without her Eunos nose badge from Revlimiter.

I still need to wrap the windshield frame and take care of the hood/door transitions. Then the gloss black pinstripe. I'll also be adding a black/red stripe to each mirror and some details to the front bumper and side skirts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Oh, I almost forgot! I got new pair of Continental Extremecontact Sports to replace my completely shot rear tires. Looks like somebody likes to slide around turns, lol!

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Are you planning to go any wider on the wheels? Even at that size they look a little sunk for flares that wide.

Bear in mind my opinion means nothing and I'm still flabbergasted by the work you did on that dash/console.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Are you planning to go any wider on the wheels? Even at that size they look a little sunk for flares that wide.

Bear in mind my opinion means nothing and I'm still flabbergasted by the work you did on that dash/console.
Thanks! I'm going to wait until I get new coilovers and finalized the ride height before I figure out the final wheel fitment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Looks good! Are you going to bring the wrap to the lower air dam as well?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the bottom. I have a few ideas. Fun thing about vinyl is that I can try a few different things before I decide.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
More vinyl!

She started the day with a white windshield frame:

And ended the day with a matte black frame:

The windshield frame turned out to be easier than the hood. (Or maybe I'm just learning how to handle this material better as I do more.) It only took me about 30-45 mins to get it completed. I think it turned out really well.

The black windshield frame really makes the tan top stand out, and not in a good way. So, I'll be replacing my perfectly good tan top with a black cloth top this summer. :rolleyes: It's going to look awesome with the whole top area of the car black, then the red border, then the white.

At least it looks good with the top down! (But then, ALL Miatas look best with the top down!)

Those little gaps in the red line at the top of the front fenders will be driving me crazy until I get more red vinyl so I can finish them!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Interesting...did you actually cover the header even under that spot where the fender comes to meet it?

(Looking at pic 5)
Yes, I worked the vinyl as far down as I could reach without actually removing the fender. I didn't want a stark white seam peaking out from all the matte black.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I received my order of 3" red tape and finished the two gaps on the top of the fenders. The transitions from the hood to the doors took a tiny piece of flat black vinyl at the forward, top tips of the doors, then I used cutting tape to make the small black and tapered red bits on the fenders, then I finished the seams with gloss black pinstriping.

So now the red stripe runs continuously from the bumper, around the cabin and back to the bumper.

I'm pretty happy with how this part of my project has turned out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I installed new rear rotors and pads today. The left side had wore much more than the right, so I think that side may have been dragging. I followed a tip I saw on Youtube and removed the slide pins, then chucked them in my drill press and polished them smooth with some fine sandpaper. Hopefully that and a liberal layer of grease will keep everything moving smoothly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Amazon sent me another Razo shift knob, and the gaps in the leather around the stitching were just as bad as the first one. So, back to Amazon they both went.

The replacement came in the form of a Superklasse "Runabout" shift knob. It's wrapped a nice combo of smooth and perforated leather; really nice, soft, high-quality leather. The stitching (I chose red) is much nicer than the Razo, and is on par with a Nardi or Momo wheel. It weighs in at 350 grams, which is not the heaviest out there, but certainly not a light-weight. The shape feels really nice in the hand. It's kind of a modified ball/mushroom/pistol grip shape. It came with a thread adapter to fit the Miata. At $59, it's not cheap, but not crazy expensive, either.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts