ClubRoadster.net banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I did a couple of small projects this morning. First, I wrapped the mirror pedestals in red like Mirage775 suggested. I think it helps with the continuity of the red stripe. With the mirrors all white, they break the line where they mount to the doors.

Next, I did a little bit of work on the air dam on the front bumper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Too much work and a shoulder injury have kept me form doing any work on the car lately. Hopefully, I'll get to the suspension next week on my days off.

After a wait one month shorter than expected, I received the Jet Stream bumper diffuser I ordered through Rev9! I'm really excited about this piece. I
have tom compliment Rev9. Their communication was great from start to finish. I was fun following the shipment tracker as my part shipped, passed Customs and then came to my door.

Now, because we all like pics...

I got home from work and found a nicely made box with "Fragile" labels in English and Japanese.

Inside, the part was wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap and tapped to the bottom of the box to prevent shifting.

Inside the bubble wrap: bumper diffuser, hardware & instructions (in Japanese), Rev9 thank you card, and heart-shaped grape gummies.

Proof of authenticity. Also, you can see the tabs that hold the screen in. If I can make it work to my satisfaction, the screen will go bye-bye in favor of a center exit exhaust port.

It's a very nicely made part. There's only one small spot that will need a skim of filler to smooth out before painting. From previous experience with fiberglass parts, this is among the best I've seen.

While part of me wants to rush out and bolt it on, I'm going to wait a bit. I just ordered the bottom diffuser to match this part. Plus, I'm going to work on the center exhaust idea. If I can get the exit port and exhaust routing to work right, then I'll need to do some fiberglass work to do away with the original exhaust cutout on the right side of the bumper so the right ans left sides match. Plus I'll have to cut out the little divider in the center vent and then fill and finish the cuts there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
To further exacerbate my need for a few days to get into the garage, this arrived today from China:

It's the matching under-diffuser to my Jet Stream bumper diffuser.

Err.. well... kind of.

While my Jet Stream upper bumper diffuser is the real-Made-in-Japan-deal, the lower is a "Jet Stream Style" diffuser that I bought on AliExpress. I know I'm bound to take some flak for buying a "Chinese knock-off", but for a price difference of $562, I was willing to take a chance. Yep, $926 vs $364 including shipping. Jet Stream offers their diffuser without the four internal fins, then you can choose to add either two or all four fins for and additional $100 or $250 respectively. This version came with all 4 fins. My CCP widebody kit was clearly based on the NoPro kit, and I also like several models of Rota and Konig wheels that look suspiciously similar ;) to Work wheels. More options in the marketplace are better.

Anyhow, the order got here much faster than I expected; only 6 days from placing the order to having it in my hands! Quality-wise, I'd say the fiberglass work easily stands up to the Jet Stream part to which it will be mated. No voids or soft spots, nice smooth gel coat, no excess flashing... equal to or better than any other aftermarket fiberglass part I've purchased. This is about the 6th time I've ordered something through AliExpress and I've had a good experience every time.

It's actually the NA version, which is why it comes with the bracket piece for installation. I don't know if I'll be able to use NA bracket as intended. If not, I'll have to buy a pair of long bolts and some lock nuts, which is how the NB version installs. I didn't receive any installation hardware or instructions, but the needed bolts are cheap and the installation isn't rocket surgery, so NBD. The other negative is that the trailing edge of this piece has a more pronounced, rolled edge NB version, which is flat. So, I'm going to have to do a little bit of trimming to make it fit just right. I knew that was a possibility, but for the money saved I find that quite acceptable.

So now I just need to get my butt moving on painting and installing of all these cool parts I've collected. Hopefully, I'll have in-process and completed pics to post soon.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Alrighty then! A little bit of fun time in the garage today before work.

One of the challenges of this install is that I bought the NB rear bumper garnish from Jetstream in Japan, but the NA diffuser from who-knows-who-made-it in China. Fot the several hundred dollar difference, I'm willing to do extra work (and take a chance it won't work at all).

Here's what I'm up against:
1) The rear edge of the diffuser has a curved lip that needs to be flat.

2) The rear contour is too curved to mate up with the bumper garnish.

Now, I have somewhere between zero ad very little experience working with fiberglass, so this is going to be an adventure.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
The cutting and grinding is pretty much done. I got a pretty firm but not perfect fit. I was limited by how much I could cut off the rear end before I started to shorten the piece to the point that it might not fit anymore. I'll post pics of that later. In the mean time, I decided to do a quick and dirt test fit of the bumper garnish. I didn't want the white bumper showing through the mesh area, so I slapped a piece of black vinyl on that area to cover it up.

As for the garnish piece itself, I just stuck it on with a few pieces of tape, so it's definitely not going to be driven anywhere like this.

Before:

After:

Out in the sun to see it better:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The "Eunos" lettering across the bumper doesn't really work with this on, so I peeled it off and cleaned up and sticker residue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Catching up with some overdue updates:

My Miata has been down for a few weeks, waiting for me to get a chance to replace the dead fuel pump. I finally got time off with no other plans to get in the way, so I got it done today. I went with a Deatschworks DW200 fuel pump. The installation was pretty easy, with the only extra step being that I had to splice the two power wires for the pump.

I also installed a new battery from Battery Mart along with a quick disconnect. My alst battery went completely flat while the car was sitting in the garage for a few weeks. I obviously have some parasitic draw that I need to track down, but the quick disconnect is an easy stop-gap fix until I find the time to do it right.

After the pump and battery, she fired right up and I took her for a test drive. It could be my imagination, but the car seems to have more power than before. I wonder if it's possible that the failing fuel pump had been robbing me of power for some time before it finally died altogether. After my test drive, I gave her a much needed bath to wash off all the garage dust that had settled on her during her slumber. (Of course, about 20 minutes later, the Texas weather broke it's several weeks of 100+ degree heat to rain on my freshly washed car!)

The final project for the day was to set up for tomorrow. I pulled her into the garage and laid out my shiny new MeisterR coilovers. I'm watching a few installation videos on Youtube to get ready for tomorrow's festivities.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Well, nothing ever seems to go as easy as it should...

I got into installing my MeisterR coilovers and hit a few snags. I started with the left rear and everything went pretty smoothly. Then I moved on to the right rear... One of the 14mm nuts in the trunk was rounded off, so I had to get a nut extractor set to finished removing the original shock. Then I cross-threaded the nut on the sway bar end link. At that point, it started raining sideways so I stopped working and closed up the garage. I need to order new endlinks... So, what should have been a few hour's work has turned into something that will take several days.

Oh well. I'm going to order some adjustable endlinks, since these coilovers are going to lower the car quite a bit. In retrospect, I should have ordered them earlier and planned on replacing the OEM end links anyway. I just need to decide which end links to buy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well, the Supermiata end links are on the way. Hopefully they'll get here by my next day off, Friday, so I can get the car back on the road.

Busy day in the Warhammer Garage! Today, I finished up everything on the MeisterR coilover install except for the missing endlinks. When those arrive from Supermiata, it should be pretty quick to get the car finished up and back on the ground.

I also got a new engine splash guard. I ordered a fastener kit from Amazon for $10 to replace all of the screws, so the splash guard will get installed tomorrow.

After reaching a stopping point on the coilovers, I decided to fix something that had been bugging me for a while. When I installed the SARD LSR (Subaru BRZ) wing, I had to fabricate my own mounting brackets. I copied the brackets that came with the wing, but I didn't like the resulting angle of attack. So, I grabbed some aluminum angle stock and fabbed up new pair. I extended the length of the brackets, brought the wing a bit more forward and increases the angle. I like this version much better. The hardest part (at least for me) of making custom brackets from scratch like this is getting the two, mirror image brackets to be reasonably similar, if not identical. My metalworking skills and tools are rudimentary at best, so no pretty CNC machined parts here, lol. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

I can't get a good picture of the wing angle while the car is in the garage, so that'll have to wait until I have the wheels back on. I still need to clean off the marker lines I drew as reference marks. While I have the brackets off to do that, I may elongate the three rear holes into a single curved slot to give greater flexibility of adjustment.

Other goodness coming to my little rice burner soon:
  • Finally painting and installing my Jet Stream rear bumper diffuser.
  • Installing my Chinese knock-off Jet Stream under-diffuser.
  • APR GT3 carbon fiber mirrors mounted with a Slick Auto adapter kit.
  • Extended gas lifts for my Clark & Clark dual trunk lift kit (have to fabricate new brackets for this)
  • Replace rear sub-frame that I bent when I did and 80 mph spin off of the Austin Tollway
  • New alignment (due to new subframe and coilovers) and finalize wheel/spacer set up
  • Open up the front and rear side vents on my widebody kit

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I received the end links and gt them installed this afternoon. You're supposed too adjust the length with the weight of the car on the hubs. To do this you either need to have hub stands (which I don't) or you have to put on the wheels and drop the car off the jack stands.

So, I installed the links but left them loose and lowered the car... only to find that the new lower ride height wouldn't let me get the jack out from under the car, lol! I had to toss a length of 2x6 under the rear wheels to give me enough clearance. With the car like that, I was able to adjust and tighten up the rear links.

The front links, not so much. I had to jack up the front wheels and put a 2x6 under each. With the weight back on the wheels, I was able to adjust them, but I couldn't reach them with two wrenches to tighten them up. So up goes the front again to tighten the links, then back down again. Finally, I have new coilovers and end links installed!

I completely forgot to take "before" measurements, so I can't say exactly how much the car is lowered. My estimated is about 1.5 - 2 inches.

Here's how she sits now:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
The MeisterR Zeta CRD coilovers feel great! Granted, my old shocks were the originals with over 100,000 miles on them and they were pretty tapped out. With the new coilovers, I have no bottoming out and much less roll in turns. It feels very smooth and confidence inspiring. Not harsh at all. I haven't driven them enough to start playing with adjustments yet, so they are set as they came out of the box.

A bonus (I was hoping for this) is that lowering the car makes my widebody fit better. Before, my front tires would rub on the body kit at full lock. The new coilovers have dropped the car right into a sweet spot where the wheels and tires now fit with no rubbing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I got my APR carbon fiber GT3 mirrors installed and adjusted today.

The good:
  • Beautiful carbon fibery goodness!
  • Light weight (probably compensates for about 1/1000th of the widebody kit, lol!)
  • Blue tint for reduced glare.
  • Wide angle glass for both sides.
  • Looks better with my widebody (eye of the beholder and all that)
The bad:
  • The view of the passenger mirror is limited. It's better than the last picture suggests, but it isn't as clear as the original mirror.
  • Adjusting the mirrors is a PITA. Plus, obviously, no more power mirrors. But I rarely change the adjustment of my mirrors anyway.
  • Now I have to worry about some asshat stealing my mirrors.
  • I haven't even gotten my dash mirror installed and I already want to upgrade it to the carbon fiber version.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I started painting my Jet Stream rear bumper diffuser. I got the color-matched paint from AutomotiveTouchup.com. Today was mostly prep and primer. I sanded the gel coat on the entire part, then degreased, wiped off the dust and went to town with a bunch of painter's tape.

I taped off the outside part so I can paint the center to match the car; the outside will be matte black. In order to get a good demarcation line, I used some 1/4" pinstriping tape in the bottom of the groove between the two sections. Then I used automotive masking tape "for curves" to extend the stripe. Finally, I used good ol' blue tape to cover the larger areas.

I did several light coats of primer, sanded it down and then a final wet coat of primer. Tomorrow morning, I plan to get out there before it gets too hot and shoot the top color and clear coats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
More progress on the paint. I finished up with primer, color coat and 4 coats of clear. With the masking off, you get an idea of how it will look. Now I have to let the color cure for a few days before I can mask it off and shoot the flat black. I'm thinking of running a 1/4" red pinstrip between the black and white portions. That would continue the black/red/white color scheme from the rest of the car. It would also cover the transition line from white to black, which is really hard to get perfectly straight, especially as it is down inside a groove.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
And all unwrapped:

Next is applying the red pinstripe between the black and white and then installation.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
And here are a whole bunch of pics of the bumper diffuser installed:

Next I need to paint and install the lower diffuser.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I also did a test install of my dash-mount mirror from RaceMirrors. I just mounted to the dash with double-sided tape so I can get a feel for it. The original aluminum stem was way too long, and ordering a custom length stem was too expensive. So, I bought a 6mm ID carbon fiber tube and made my own. I can cut the tube to any length I want to get the mirror height just right. After I finalize the stem length, I'll drill into the dash to mount the mirror permanently.

The mirror is really small, but the glass is convex, so you can see quite a lot in it. Being mounted to the dash keeps it completely out of the forward view, so it get in the way like the original mirror. I've been wanting a dash-mounted mirror for quite a while, so I'm hoping the is the solution I've been looking for. I'm planning on getting a new windshield soon because this one has a few rock chips and a lot of scratches. The new windshield won't have the black tombstone where the OEM mirror used to mount.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Front splitter in the works today.

I still have most of a 4x8 sheet of ABS that I bought for my dash board project a few years ago. Most say to use a piece of cardboard to make a template, but I figured the bumper itself would be easier to use.

My CCP front bumper already has a splitter integrated, so this project is really just for the purpose of protecting the front edge from road rash.

I grabbed an appropriately sized hole saw and a Sharpie. I followed the contour of the bumper to draw a line 1" out front of the bumper. At the sides, I'm gong to cut the splitter so that it ends flush with the trailing edge of the bumper.

Straight lines are easy to cut in ABS; just score with a knife and snap. So I started buy cutting the straight edges at the sides and back, then roughing out the front contour.

Time for a lunch break, then I'll finish up.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts