ClubRoadster.net banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
On with the work...

After the rough cuts (and lunch) I used my bench mounted disc sander to remove the ABS down to the Sharpie mark. A quick pass with a box knofe cut off any melted flashing and here's where this were.

It extended out about 3/4" from the front of the bumper. To me, it was a little too understated. So, I tried moving it forward 1" and really liked the result.

graphics

So now it was time to mount that bad boy to the bumper. Having the bumper off the car made this step SO much easier that it would have been? I tossed the bumper up on a folding table and was able to work with it comfortably.

But before I bolted the splitter on, I decided to take a small detour and ad a bit of color to the project. Anyone who's read a few pages of my build thread knows my love of vinyl graphics. So, a little knifeless cutting tape and some Ferrari red vinyl, and...

Finally, on to bolting things together. With the help of a few clamps and some 3M tape to hold things were I wanted them, I drilled 14 holes and used stainless steel screws, washers and lock bolts to attach the splitter. Possible overkill, but it's certainly not going anywhere.

I finished the edges with some black edge trim and the bumper is ready to reinstall.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
So here it is all back together and on the ground:

I really like how it looks. Aggressive without being too outlandish. I don't think it's large enough that I need any turnbuckles to tied the spoiler into the car's frame. The TDR "radical" splitter comes with turnbuckles, but that thin sticks out 2.5" in front of the bumper. However, if I decide I want to add them just "because racecar", I think there's enough room for me to do it.

While I had the car up on jack stands, I added a red stripe to the bottom edge of each side, too. It's not a lot of color and looks pretty subtle in the pics, but it's more noticeable in person.

More pics, just because!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Warhammer has really come together, again kudos on sticking with your vision as I honestly was skeptical since I first saw the body kit but has really worked out great! :icon_cheers: Can't wait to see in person!:haiguyths:

I feel like it still needs more wheel/tire somehow.
I thought the same and the reason it has that much fender gap even after being lowered is because the body kits fenders are higher than the factory ones, from pics it looks like 0.5" or more, based on installation pics of the body kit.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,691 Posts
I thought the same and the reason it has that much fender gap even after being lowered is because the body kits fenders are higher than the factory ones, from pics it looks like 0.5" or more, based on installation pics of the body kit.
The fender gap is one thing, but also there needs to be a little lower offset/more width. Those flares are still writing checks the wheels aren't cashing, so to speak.

PLEASE don't take that personally, though. This is astounding work going on here, and far better than anything I could imagine myself doing.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
7,951 Posts
I’m inclined to agree with Bryan here. While the car actually looks a lot better than I would normally admit, it kind of looks like a bro walking around the gym with massive arms and tiny little bird legs. With styling that aggressive, you need at least a 10 inch wide wheel with some big healthy meat.

Great build, just needs a bit of accouterment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
The fender gap is one thing, but also there needs to be a little lower offset/more width. Those flares are still writing checks the wheels aren't cashing, so to speak.

PLEASE don't take that personally, though. This is astounding work going on here, and far better than anything I could imagine myself doing.
No offense taken. I'm just glad you guys aren't hitting me with the "you ruined a perfectly good Miata" shtick! I'm definitely investigating other wheel options. As this project has evolved, I've had to readjust to some realities. as much as I like the Storm S1 wheels, they really just aren't working with this body kit. Just have to decide what I want before I pull the trigger. Lower offset and probably 10" wide. I also need to decide whether to stay with 15s or go up to 16s or even 17s to fill those big ass arches. I keep waffling back and forth between more modern "racing" style wheels and old school JDM style.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I’m inclined to agree with Bryan here. While the car actually looks a lot better than I would normally admit, it kind of looks like a bro walking around the gym with massive arms and tiny little bird legs. With styling that aggressive, you need at least a 10 inch wide wheel with some big healthy meat.

Great build, just needs a bit of accouterment.
LMOA! I skipped leg day! :lol:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,691 Posts
No offense taken. I'm just glad you guys aren't hitting me with the "you ruined a perfectly good Miata" shtick! I'm definitely investigating other wheel options. As this project has evolved, I've had to readjust to some realities. as much as I like the Storm S1 wheels, they really just aren't working with this body kit. Just have to decide what I want before I pull the trigger. Lower offset and probably 10" wide. I also need to decide whether to stay with 15s or go up to 16s or even 17s to fill those big ass arches. I keep waffling back and forth between more modern "racing" style wheels and old school JDM style.
We're on the same page, then!

Personally: I wouldn't go bigger than 16's.

What do you think of the options?
I can't see all of them, but TE37's are a nice choice.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
No offense taken. I'm just glad you guys aren't hitting me with the "you ruined a perfectly good Miata" shtick! I'm definitely investigating other wheel options. As this project has evolved, I've had to readjust to some realities. as much as I like the Storm S1 wheels, they really just aren't working with this body kit. Just have to decide what I want before I pull the trigger. Lower offset and probably 10" wide. I also need to decide whether to stay with 15s or go up to 16s or even 17s to fill those big arches. I keep waffling back and forth between more modern "racing" style wheels and old school JDM style.
Only issue with going with larger wheels is you aren't going to fill the arches anymore unless you go with a taller overall wheel/tire diameter which means your speedometer is going to be off, if that matters. In either case I would stick with 15s, personally. The TE37 or Watanabe's would be awesome but both are pretty costly if you get the real deal.

I still think it's weird this body kit puts the arches higher, usually it is the opposite.:dunno:

141 - 155 of 155 Posts