ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just got alignment done, here are my numbers:

I have a few concerns. Firstly, when I took the car in initially, it was pulling to the left slightly. Now, after the alignment it drives straighter but pulls right a little.

Secondly, I went to a shop that I've never dealt with before because my normal shop said my car was too low to get on to their rack. I was going to have them install my r package tie rod ends at the same time I got the alignment but was told that it would be an extra $100 charge. I told them I'd just wait and do it myself.

When I was looking at my numbers the owner of the shop told me something to the effect of "To get your camber numbers any closer to each other or exact you'll need aftermarket camber (bolts? arms?) adjusters.

Is this true? Honestly, it looks like they didn't make any attempt to adjust my camber at all. In my past experience getting cars aligned at my normal shop they were able to get camber on all 4 wheels within 0.01 degrees of each other and set it to my specs. This new shop didn't even ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
By the looks of it theyve only adjusted your front toe. this is just a matter of moving the tie rod ends on your rack and havent touched any other adjustments on the front. as for the rear theyve only adjusted toe also.

considering your camber im presuming its lowered a lot. youl either need to raise it to get the suspension back within spec or get camber arms.

depending on how low you are camber arms can be a lot of effort.

the easiest method would be once your tie rod ends are installed go back and ask for them to lower the camber as much as they can on the front and rear, bring it even across the axle and then set your toe in.

for that much camber i would recommend a good 20-25 mins toe in on the rear and about 15-20 on the front.

also ask them to raise the right hand caster a couple points. this should stop it pulling left

and maby go somewhere else..

·
Registered
164 Posts
They didn't adjust your camber/caster at all up front or rear.

How low are you?

For street you want the camber even or close to even. right now you have a .7 degree split in camber on the front. That is going to make the car go right. The caster only has a .02 degree split. Usually when I'm setting caster on a vehicle I want at least a .03-.05 degree split with the passenger caster higher. This compensates for the crown of the road. This is when camber is close to even side to side on the front.

When the car goes right where is your steering wheel? Is it straight or is it slightly off?

Theres a few things I would have them check and correct. #1 have them even out the camber. Make it even as possible side to side. Next have them test drive it before and after they rotate the tires. It doesn't sound like you have a radial pull in one of your tires but it is a possibility and a lot of good alignment techs miss this when they shouldn't.

The last thing to do is if they are a good shop they will allow you to sit in the car while they align it. It's a pain in the ass for the shop but if they want your business they will do it. By doing this it adds your body weight to the car and shows the true alignment measurements and allows you to center the steering wheel to your liking.

Alignments shouldn't be tricky but with our cars they can be.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty low, about 11" hub to fender all around. My concern isn't that I have negative camber, it's that it doesn't look like they even attempted to adjust it and when I asked about that I was told that they couldn't adjust it any more accurately without the addition of some kind of aftermarket parts on my car. Ideally I would have liked the camber to be at -4.5 in the rear and -2.5 in the front for both wheels. I'm running 15x8 +15s with 195/50 tires, and at my ride height I need a little camber in order to avoid rubbing.

I'm going to try another shop tomorrow, do you guys have any alignment spec suggestions for me to give them before they do it? I'm a little peeved because I wasted a solid hour waiting for them to work on the car (lunch came just before I got there) and wasted $50 on the job when all they really corrected was my toe which is still causing the car to creep.

The car creeps right unless I hold the steering wheel to the left ever so slightly. If I just let it go it appears to sit straight but the car starts moving right slightly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts