ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carbon fiber hardtops for Miata Mk1/Mk2 NA/NB

We just finished the first piece of the CFRP hardtop today. I decided to offer a top that is 100% identical as the OEM one with all the recessed areas, front latches holes and weatherstrip locations. The rear latches have been made in carbon fiber and have the exact same design as the OEM chrome ones. When I do some new moulds, it happens that they need some tweaking to make the part fit nicely but I have to say, I am pretty amazed at how the first sample fits on the car. I took the OEM metal front latches and fitted them on the top without any pain. I will let the pictures talk! :)

As all the others CarbonMiata products, the hardtops are vacuum-bagged and we try to keep a high level of quality at an affordable price.

Those will be available in:

- CFRP: carbon fiber outer skin with fiberglass structure (around 9 kg - 20 pounds) - 1000 USD

- FRP: fiberglass outer skin with fiberglass structure (around 11 kg - 24 pounds) - 600 USD

- Full CF: full carbon fiber outer skin and carbon fiber structure (around 7 kg - 15 pounds) - 1800 USD

For FRP and full CF weights, it's just an estimation as I didn't do them yet!

For info, the OEM top weighs around 45-50 pounds with the glass.

Pictures fitted:

And a picture of the interior to show the front latch in its OEM location.

I am sourcing the seals, the windows (should be acrylic) at the moment. For the seals, I am looking for a factory that could reproduce the Mazda seals so that you can get a quality top that won't leak and that can last long.

For prices, give me some time to make them. I can honestly say that for the level of quality, you won't find cheaper anywhere else.

Thanks for reading.

Marc

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shut up and take my money!

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Nice work!!

1 - 20 of 153 Posts