ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 249 Posts

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

So I started this project around 5 months ago. I was very lucky to find this sweet Miata in China where I live since 2004. Only 5 NA were officially imported in the 90's so I guess I was very lucky to find that one!

The car had this kit that I find pretty ugly. The front was OK but the back was awful. I teared it off as soon as I could and bought OEM bumpers.

Also, I started to buy some parts in USA and rebuild the engine with high compression pistons, light flywheel, stage 3 clutch etc...

I didn't want to go turbo/supercharger so I kept it NA and started to focus on loosing weight. Long story short, I started to do my own carbon fiber parts and aim at lighten the car the most I can while keeping it "civilized". Doors, trunk, fenders, hood, lip, canards etc... everything will be done at some point.

Enough talking, here are the pictures of the different steps of this project. Sorry for the bad pictures but my car spends a huge amount of time in the workshop so I didn't have time to find a nice place to shoot it yet.

Back to original and working on the headlights covers fitment:

CF Headlight covers fitted (0.45 pound/pc):

Then I worked on the back of the car and made a CF trunk spoiler (1.2 pounds) and CF Euro rear panel (1.3 pounds):

Then I did a CF OEM trunk (7 pounds) but quickly gave it to a friend and started to work on a trunk with ducktail (love the effect). The final shape is not as I thought it would be. Now it just looks like somebody sticked a spoiler on the trunk. Shape is being amended to delete the separation lines. Part was just finished on the pictures so it's pretty dirty!

I then started to work on the front, here are the OEM fenders made with carbon fiber:

Doors were made soon after. This saved A LOT of weight. OEM doors are so heavy, I couldn't believe it. Weight of each CF door: 8.8 pounds.

Flat rear panel (didn't really like the result actually):

Came back to the front and I just finished one of the front lip design. The other one is being made now. Also, I wanted some canards so bad so here we go, I finished this shape last weekend and mould is being made. Once those are finished, there will be bigger sized ones.

Unfinished design inspired from the GV lip:

Working on the canards shape, I am not sure about the position but I read on forums that a 25 degrees angle is good for the aero. You can see the other lip design finished as well.

For the hood, I am getting inspired by this RX7 hood! Looks pretty awesome IMHO!

There might be too much vents tough!

Did some accessories for the interior as well. Strictly for looks.

Doors sills:

Speaker covers:

I will update this topic with the new additions to the car. Meanwhile suggestions about new parts or advices are more than welcome!!!

I will update the topic with the exact weight saved with each item. Hopefully it can help a few to choose which CF/fiberglass parts to go for to maximize their weight saving!

Thanks for reading.

Marc

· Banned
4,898 Posts
I used to make Carbon parts from scratch at Callaway... shits easier than people think. whats hard is the attention to detail, especially if you're anal about air bubbles and defects appearing on the clear coat.

I would like to request full pictures of the doors though, did you do the entire door, including interior frame? If so, that's absolutely remarkable. Very impressive that you are doing this on your own. How long does it take you to make each mold, and vacuum your pieces? What kind of Kiln are you using?

And my most important question, what carbon fabric are you using? German? Or US?

· Registered
164 Posts
Damn! I've always wanted OEM parts made from carbon!

After spending a couple weeks in Shanghai, this doesn't surprise me though. If you can dream it, someone in that amazing city can make it. I came home with custom tailored suits and leather jackets made to order for a pittance. Custom body bits for one's car in carbon is a pretty logical next step!

Seriously D.Original, set up manufacturing there, get a distribution partner here in the US, and you're in business. You already have the molds done. People here will line up for OEM parts rendered in carbon.

· brontosaurus
10,440 Posts
I know we've talked before, but gawd damn your parts are awesome!

Can't wait to see what you roll out next.

Any luck sourcing lights for the finish panel?

1 - 20 of 249 Posts