ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 663 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I think it's better if I put all the pictures, information and designs on new parts that are being made at the moment in one topic. It will be more clear and hopefully people can give me their opinions. If you think it's crap and ugly, just say it. Even if you are not willing to buy anything. Each opinion matters!

I will start with the hardtop spoiler that is being designed at the moment. I am working on the shape with the workshop and got a few feeedbacks for the moment. 50% of the people think it should follow the airflow like on the picture but other think that it would be great to orientate the flow on a trunk spoiler. Enough talking, here are the pictures:

Then somebody advised me to make it go like this:

And I also got a drawing from nmwisima that looks fantastic IMO. The "shark fins" on both sides won't go that down but I think there is something interesting there.

I will try to take the better of everything and come up with something unique. Any comments welcomed!

:icon_cheers:

Marc

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Work in progress

Exactly, the Project-G hardtop spoiler is like this:

I would like to make something different. A bigger and more imposing spoiler that would be aero efficient with the sides going lower along the glass!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: CarbonMiata: Work in progress

i love and appreciate how you take the customers ideas into consideration :icon_cheers:
Great work by the way, we're always interested in your products ;)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

:D Thanks for the feedbacks!

Little update: So we flatened the spoiler shape today and I did some photoshop (awful skills) to show you where we are going.

Next monday the shape will be finished for final confirmation before we can start the mould. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts

I like where this is heading, but in my opinion it looks a bit odd tilting upwards like that. I guess I'll just wait for the finished product to see how it looks on the hardtop.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes I know what you mean but as the spoiler is wider than the usual ones, if I orientate it downward, it will look even weirder! :D Anyway, final shape monday!

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts

not on the spoiler it doesn't.
To be fair, that testing originally done was testing the flow separation on an unmodified hardtop. Adding a hardtop spoiler lengthens the top of the hardtop, the air should now act differently. It probably detaches further towards the rear now. Testing would need to be done all over again with the hard top spoiler in place to find out where it should be. Also, the huge high downforce ducktail spoiler that guy had could have been effecting the air pressure levels on the trunk lid, again testing would need to be done without the ducktail.

Too many variables, but a good starting place would be where that test found to be the best place. I wouldn't be surprised though if their ideal placement moved back from that location atleast half the length that was added by the hardtop spoiler.

I like the design a lot. I've never been a fan of the bent plastic ones from project-g. Looks super cheap.

·
Registered
378 Posts

liking this! an alternative to project-g's wing! i like how it kinda goes up, it's different and at the same time we don't (we meaning some people) want the same wing design/look of project-g's

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I like when people's brains work all together! :D

So now my mate Nmwisima just posted a new design, actually the same as the previous one but more detailed and awesome IMO.

1 Blade + 2 feets. Looks sweeeeet.

·
Registered
759 Posts

It's a little different then what im use to but I do like it a bit more flattened like so. I'm really digging the way it curves from the side up kind of reminding me of the shark fin antennas on bimmers etc.

I'm not sure what it is about the project g-wing but its almost quintessential to Miatas in SoCal. I have one but am now seriously thinking of changing the motif of the car to carbon fiber instead of the flat black fiberglass parts and urethane lip.

Looking good...keep up the good work and I think I'm gonna order your headlight covers to start but would be a shoe in on some doors, seats, or maybe a whole front bumper.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts

To be fair, that testing originally done was testing the flow separation on an unmodified hardtop. Adding a hardtop spoiler lengthens the top of the hardtop, the air should now act differently. It probably detaches further towards the rear now. Testing would need to be done all over again with the hard top spoiler in place to find out where it should be. Also, the huge high downforce ducktail spoiler that guy had could have been effecting the air pressure levels on the trunk lid, again testing would need to be done without the ducktail.

Too many variables, but a good starting place would be where that test found to be the best place. I wouldn't be surprised though if their ideal placement moved back from that location atleast half the length that was added by the hardtop spoiler.

I like the design a lot. I've never been a fan of the bent plastic ones from project-g. Looks super cheap.
I agree with your statement, although how much further back the air will separate will determine whether or not VG's are even needed.

·
Fearless ****** of Ghosts
865 Posts

I agree with your statement, although how much further back the air will separate will determine whether or not VG's are even needed.
Will the hardtop spoiler make much of an aero difference? I've always heard ductail spoilers do minimal if anything as far as aero/downforce, but I know nothing about the subject so would love to hear what you think.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts

depending on the shape of the spoiler and the length, the airflow over the car will change. Downforce will not change very much if at all. The junction between the hardtop and the spoiler too must be smooth or you will get some junction air separation.

1 - 20 of 663 Posts