ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any reviews on the Carbotech Spec Miata Package from 5X Racing? For the price ($350), they seem like a great upgrade from stock... I ordered the SS brake line group buy already and came across the brake package.

They have XP10 in the front and XP8 in the rear. I just wanted to see if any of you had opinions on this setup.

CLICK ME

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
What do you use your car for? Those pads may or may not be what you need.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I autocross, the car is a weekend car. Not a daily, but it is driven a lot in the summer. That was my only concern - the agressiveness of the pads.
Probably not what you are looking for but could be workable. Save yourself some money and get the cheapest blank rotors you can find. Pair those with an axxis ult, hawk hp+, or Porterfield r4s? and some decent fluids. Should be more than adequate.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
You probably want an equally strong, or even slightly stronger pad in the rear. Not a weaker compound. Miatas are too front-biased as it is. Many people fix this by going with a slightly more aggressive rear pad than front.

I use Carbotech XP10 fronts and Porterfield R4 (not R4S) on the rear - and I have heard that the R4 is equatable to somewhere right between the XP10 and XP12.

Carbotechs are fantastic pads though, regardless of which compound you choose.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
id say its more because the OEM miata rotors meet or exceed the needs of most people, drilled/slotted/floating/etc are not needed. XP10 is too aggressive for the street, I tend to use the autocross (AX6) Carbotech pads on my dual purpose car.

If you want to use XP10/8 when you are on the track, its best tohave a daily set of pads and then swap to the race pads for events.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You probably want an equally strong, or even slightly stronger pad in the rear. Not a weaker compound. Miatas are too front-biased as it is. Many people fix this by going with a slightly more aggressive rear pad than front.
-Ryan
I am not sure about that. it should be the other way around. you want more aggressive pads front.

as for streetable. XP10/8 works fine for me on 2 of my weekend cars. but you definitely don't want XP10/8 if you are not going to track it. for auto-x, you want something that comes up to heat within 2 corners. same for street.

as for rotors, I would just buy the cheapest blanks. no drilled nor slotted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think I just answered your inquiry on our site, but I will post it here also to help out other interested people:

The Carbotech SM package includes:

Full vehicle set of rotors (Front and Rear OEM brake rotors approved by Carbotech for use with their pads)
Front Carbotech XP10 Front Brake Pads and Carbotech XP8 Rear Brake Pads

This package is set up for a track only road racing Miata, such as a Spec Miata. The XP10/XP8 combo has been proven to be the best brake choice for most people racing Miatas, the XP8 is a slightly less aggressive compound and is used on the rear to bias the braking, as bias is not adjustable manually. Spec Miata's benefit from a lighter rear brake to avoid rear lock-up under extreme trailbraking conditions and rain racing.

For your car, I would suggest either the Carbotech 1521 compound or the AX6 compound on all corners. The 1521 is Carbotech's street/auto-x compound and the AX6 is a more aggressive auto-x compound that can be used on the street with the side effects of a little more dust and low temp squealing. We use the 1521 on our street Miata and it is a very nice pad that will outlast your vehicle, and is extremely easy on rotors.

If you want a bit more bite, I would step up to the AX6 unless you are overly concerned about dust and noise (although not nearly as much as the comparable Hawk HP-Plus pads, which are harsh on rotors and put off tons of dust). These pads would be ideal for auto-x and will work great for weekend driving.

The Carbotech rotors that come with the package are not cheapies, but an affordable OEM replacement, however they have proven themselves on our Spec Miata's and many others to be known good racing rotors and worth the extra couple of bucks. I would be wary of extreme cheapies, we've used $20 rotors from NAPA before and took them off after one session because they felt like they were covered with oil (yes, we did wash the oily residue off before we used them!).

As for the other choices out there, they might be cheaper, but from what I've noticed the difference has been in the rotor wear. When we used Hawk products, we tore through rotors so fast, at least 2 or more sets a season, about every other brake pad change. With the Carbotech pads, we can make it a whole season (at least 10 weekends a year) or more on one set of Carbotech rotors, which made up for the difference in price of the pads over options like Hawk. The choice is yours of course, but that's why we use Carbotechs (plus they are awesome for not locking up tires under trail braking, which is important in SM).

I can get some other options for you as well if you're interested. We have Hawks and can get Axis too. I will put together kits like the SM kit for these pads in the future.

Here is some more info on Carbotech compounds if you want the deep details:
http://5xracing.com/p-662-carbotech.html

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5X racing is awesome, I sent them an email asking the same question as I did CR, thinking it would take 5X awhile; at the same time I wanted unbiased opinions. The 5X sponsor answered my email within an hour - Pretty impressive.

After listening to your opinions and talking to 5X I will forgo the XP and use AX6 - they seem to be a good compromise. Even though the package they have is nice...

Thanks guys

·
Loves V8s. Hates you.
176 Posts
I think I just answered your inquiry on our site, but I will post it here also to help out other interested people:

The Carbotech SM package includes:

Full vehicle set of rotors (Front and Rear OEM brake rotors approved by Carbotech for use with their pads)
Front Carbotech XP10 Front Brake Pads and Carbotech XP8 Rear Brake Pads

This package is set up for a track only road racing Miata, such as a Spec Miata. The XP10/XP8 combo has been proven to be the best brake choice for most people racing Miatas, the XP8 is a slightly less aggressive compound and is used on the rear to bias the braking, as bias is not adjustable manually. Spec Miata's benefit from a lighter rear brake to avoid rear lock-up under extreme trailbraking conditions and rain racing.

For your car, I would suggest either the Carbotech 1521 compound or the AX6 compound on all corners. The 1521 is Carbotech's street/auto-x compound and the AX6 is a more aggressive auto-x compound that can be used on the street with the side effects of a little more dust and low temp squealing. We use the 1521 on our street Miata and it is a very nice pad that will outlast your vehicle, and is extremely easy on rotors.

If you want a bit more bite, I would step up to the AX6 unless you are overly concerned about dust and noise (although not nearly as much as the comparable Hawk HP-Plus pads, which are harsh on rotors and put off tons of dust). These pads would be ideal for auto-x and will work great for weekend driving.

The Carbotech rotors that come with the package are not cheapies, but an affordable OEM replacement, however they have proven themselves on our Spec Miata's and many others to be known good racing rotors and worth the extra couple of bucks. I would be wary of extreme cheapies, we've used $20 rotors from NAPA before and took them off after one session because they felt like they were covered with oil (yes, we did wash the oily residue off before we used them!).

As for the other choices out there, they might be cheaper, but from what I've noticed the difference has been in the rotor wear. When we used Hawk products, we tore through rotors so fast, at least 2 or more sets a season, about every other brake pad change. With the Carbotech pads, we can make it a whole season (at least 10 weekends a year) or more on one set of Carbotech rotors, which made up for the difference in price of the pads over options like Hawk. The choice is yours of course, but that's why we use Carbotechs (plus they are awesome for not locking up tires under trail braking, which is important in SM).

I can get some other options for you as well if you're interested. We have Hawks and can get Axis too. I will put together kits like the SM kit for these pads in the future.

Here is some more info on Carbotech compounds if you want the deep details:
http://5xracing.com/p-662-carbotech.html

Hope this helps!

:slow clap:

Well said.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Cobalt is another choice
Cobalt Friction! :slayer:

I don't know if they even make a pad for his application though. I think just track compounds. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stage 1 Carbotech Complete Miata Package

We sell the same rotors we use on our multiple lap record setting, WERC endurance series and T25 winning race cars. Pads and rotors available separately or the complete Stage 1 kit as shown below.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts