ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine swapped exhausts with me (his is catless) so he could get through emissions testing. He still failed, so now he has 18 days to pass. If he doesnt find another person in the northern virginia area to swap exhausts for a few days, Im gonna be a nice guy and just buy a new cat now, even though I am not due for testing until early 2008.

Thing is for the past few days Ive been enjoying the catless exhaust so much I think Im gonna get a test pipe as well, remove the new cat after he passes and just put it back in the box until I need it in 08.

So basically Im looking for a direct fit cat. Anyone ever buy one on ebay? They are about the same price as a universal (weld in) from a local auto parts store. Im gonna use it for passing inspections and most likely have it off the car otherwise so I dont want, or need, to drop the cash for a high flow one...

suggestions, comments, etc...?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Man had I known I could get a bolt in solution for under 100 bucks, I'da done it months ago!

Do it. :)

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thats the one I was looking at. even some local connections cant match that price. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
He could swap with me, I don't mind some volume while the GF is in town :twisted:

Although consider me a last ditch option, cause even though I recently passed... it was BARELY a pass. When I had the exhaust off to do the clutch I could see my cat chunking away, so yeah.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was your cat nice and hot when it was tested?

any shop that knows what its doing should be able to tell you what is the cause of your failure.

I just had my car tested again last week with my catco bolt in cat, JR header, Corksport exhaust, and ITG foam air filter and passed with flying colors. mind you these are all parts that would likely have your car impounded from the CA visual inspection.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well ebay offers bolt in and weld in versions.

no idea if they are carb approved. if it doesnt say so in the auction, probably not.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I used to have a magnaflow bolt in cat for my Civic that I would install only when I had to take it to get emissions tested.

If I remember correctly, I bought if from Summit Racing and it was well under $100 shipped. I passed with flying colors with a built motor, 450cc injectors, etc etc running 1bar of boost. lol

The nice thing about Oregon is, if it passes emissions testing, they don't care what you've got going on under the hood.

But yeah, I'd recommend a magnaflow bolt in. They fit perfectly and do the job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts