ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my CEL is indicating that there is a problem with EGR system. In order to check a couple of the sensors, they advise removing them and applying 12V. My question is what is the best way to apply 12V. I don't have an extra battery handy and I've looked at 12V power supplies, but the amperage listed varies all over the place (as you can tell, I'm a noob with this stuff).
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What year car do you have? From the factory there is a blue plug just behind the drivers side headlight that has "key on" 12v power. Im only sure of this on NA cars.

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
On my workbench, I have a $20 Schumaker trickle charger that I use to apply 12v to different things from sensors to LEDs for testing. I snipped off the big battery clamps it came with and spliced in a couple of small test probes to the ends instead.

The trickle charger can be had anywhere from Walmart to Autozone. I could still use it to maintain my battery if I wanted to but I have a second trickle charger for that. If you can find a regular battery charger at Goodwill, better still. I picked up a 50amp Sears charger there for five bucks.

Some people convert computer power supplies to bench use I hear. You could always just attach a couple of wires to the battery and test that way for free.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sell a tool called "The Power Probe"
At first I was like :eek:, but then I read about it. Pretty cool tool, but the price is a little out of reach at the moment given I might have to replace stuff.

What year car do you have? From the factory there is a blue plug just behind the drivers side headlight that has "key on" 12v power. Im only sure of this on NA cars.
I have a '96. I will definitely check that. Maybe together with some small leads it would do the trick.

On my workbench, I have a $20 Schumaker trickle charger that I use to apply 12v to different things from sensors to LEDs for testing. I snipped off the big battery clamps it came with and spliced in a couple of small test probes to the ends instead.

The trickle charger can be had anywhere from Walmart to Autozone. I could still use it to maintain my battery if I wanted to but I have a second trickle charger for that. If you can find a regular battery charger at Goodwill, better still. I picked up a 50amp Sears charger there for five bucks.

Some people convert computer power supplies to bench use I hear. You could always just attach a couple of wires to the battery and test that way for free.
Thanks, all good suggestions. When looking at some of these I was unsure how the amp rating figured in, if at all...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts