ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys been around on the forum for quite some time, mainly looking. I'm going to try to make this short, I had a 1990 base Miata, I bought back in 2009. The car was what i thought a good project car, needed some love but was still worth fixing. Fast forward to 2012 the car has a new engine, wheels, seats, was completely gutted was getting ready for paint when my (un-insured) neighbor backed up into my car and crushed my rear end and all my dreams of ever getting the car to be what i wanted.

This is where we are at now, lady comes to the shop (bike shop) see's my car outside and says she's got a 1970 Miata, that's been in her garage for 8+ years. I'm extremely interested at this point, knowing that there was no Miatas in the 70's. I get her info and tell her to give me a call when she gets home and looks at the registration. I get a call back and it's a 1990 white miata. Long story short I pick this thing up for 900$ yea thats right 900$. Registration is payed smoged and ready to go before I even pulled the trigger on it.

Sorry for the long post but I thought the back story was pretty interesting. My dream can now continue!:mrgreen:

Here are the Specs:
1990 Miata white with good paint, 130,000 miles, short nose (no wobble), A/C, PS, ABS, Robinson top with glass window, 2 owners, previous owner had it since 1991.

Future plans:
Make it a functional daily driver, canyon car that makes me want to drive it everyday of my life. No hella slam or hella flush or hella anything for the matter. It will be a car along the lines of Sharka (but less baller), Flipper, functional and fun.

I'll let the pictures say the rest!

3rd Day of owning it and already have my wheels on.

And the old car in its "prime"!

Thanks for looking and hopefully you all stick around for future changes!: 3gears:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small update of a DIY. I'm a big guy 6'1 (250lbs) and the armrest is the most annoying thing in a Miata for someone my size, especially if you have the stock wheel. I've had the "new" car for about two weeks and could not stand the armrest any longer, so today I set out to remove the armrest and make some "oem-ish" looking door pulls.

So I went to home depot for some hardware and such, I came across these hard rubber grippers for furniture legs. They are about 1.40" in diameter and have a metal washer in them. I also picked up some stainless flush bolts and headed home to find something to make the actual strap out of. You will have to enlarge the hole in the washer a bit to be able to put the screw through, then simply cut your strap to the desired length and screw back into the original holes. Here is what you should end up with.

Thanks for looking and hopefully someone can use it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little update, yesterday (01/23/13) I picked up a busted hardtop from a member, no rear window and in need of some fiberglass, filler and paint work. I have decided to do all the work myself minus the actual color match. Tonight I was able to start some of the work, I cut out a couple of broken pieces from the top, removed the remaining glass, pulled all the weather stripping and sanded down some scratches. Yesterday I was feeling a little overwhelmed with all the work but today things are looking better. If anyone has any tips, write ups or any info in general about fix and working on hardtops I would greatly appreciate it. Enough with my on going rambling here are some pictures.

The better side of the top.

The bad side and sections to be cut out or repaired.

The rear passenger side frankeinstein bolt latch. This is the part that really worries me.

The window rail section that I already cut and is waiting repair.

Thanks for looking guys!:hello kitty:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I think its time to update my thread, a lot has changed and my car is now worth posting about (or at least i think so). Hopefully i don't forget anything and everything is in order.

Since the last post I have done the following to the car, sorry for the cellphone shots but fora time that's the only camera I had.

Car looked like this for a while.

Then I made a simple license plate bracket out of scrap aluminum.

I saw this guy in Solvang a day after New years, are you in here?

Sometime in there I did some maintenance and got KYB AGX shocks with FM springs, FM rear top hats and custom NB front hats. The springs suck and I don't recommend them to anyone they are far too soft. I cut a coil off the rear and added a 1/4" spacer to the front to level the car.

I borrowed a go pro from a friend and took some photos.

I had some fun with this guy on the twisties.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I went to Project-G one year anniversary.

Not too long after that I got a replica GV lip and plasti-dipped my wheels black.

This happened also :haiguyths:

The car got V8 roadster frame rails but no pictures of that. Not a lot happened after that the next chapter is not such a happy one, when I went to the PG meet I met Ben (bedheadben from Boss Performance) we became friends through Instagram and his forum he was an inspiration and the nicest person I ever met through any forum. As many of you know he passed away and his family held a memorial which I was extended an invitation to.

The day before the memorial I picked up a Hard Dog single diagonal roll bar and installed my Boss Performance windshield banner. These are pictures from the memorial.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then after wanting these since I got my first miata I finally bought a set! Enkei RPF1 14x7 et +19 wrapped them in Falken Azeines rt615k

Then I painted the letters because ricer! Also you can see the CF TCS mirrors and my sparco tow strap which were gifts from my brother.

We are officially up to date at least picture wise I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff and missed huge periods of time but hopefully i can keep this up to date a little better now!

Thanks for looking, Charlie and I appreciate it!

PS: If any mods see this can you change the tittle to "Charlie the Miata!"

Thanks in advance!:icon_cheers:

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
What size tire did you go with?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really like it!... I hope my white look as good as yours at the end!

Guillaume
Thank you sir!

Really like this picture, cars lookin' great.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Car looks great man :smile:
Thanks man!

Love this car. So understated, so good.
Thank you so much it means a lot!

Such a sweet car. Boss banner is boss.
Thank you! Boss banner is boss indeed gonna rock it till it falls off then I got a spare :icon_cheers:

I just picked up a set of Koni sport shocks for the car trying to decide what springs to go with. Hopefully there will some updates soon!

Thank you all for checking out my car hopefully you stick around for the future plans!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Excellent wheel choice! I love those wheels! If I ever get different wheels then they are on the top of the list.I wanna paint the lettering on my Hankooks, what did you use? I was going to use that white wall paint from eBay. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks man! I used sharpies oil based paint marker, so far they have held up great to high pressure car washes and tire cleaners. If your tires aren't brand new you will need to degrease the tires I used alcahol because I knew it wouldn't damage the rubber. You will need a few coats to make them bright, I chose to use less coats so they wouldn't stand out too much! May the gods of patience be with you!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts